The Tougher on Crime Thread?

Rate this topic

55555s

1 minute ago, 55555s said:

If it saves lives, why not?  

Because "it saves lives" is not the answer to everything.

Want to save lives?  Make the maximum speed limit on highways 40mph, and design vehicles so that they cannot do more than 40mph no matter how much gas you give it.  That would save a ton of lives.

But that brings us back to common sense regs, and some things, while they would save lives, just aren't realistic.

Just now, JoeyZac said:

Not a fan of a nanny state, but I am a fan of common sense.

Tell me, when evacuation orders are given in front of a hurricane, and someone decides to ride it out, but then needs to call for a rescue, putting the lives of the rescuers in danger, do you think the person who stayed deserves to be chastised, or do the lives of EMS not matter as much as the bravado of the person who decided to try to ride it out?

I'm not looking for either a nanny state or anarchy, but I am looking for common sense laws for those that want to be part of a society.  If you don't want to have laws, and don't want to have to live under regs that to some extent benefit the greater good instead of the individual, then go live in the mountains, or out on a farm, or somewhere away from the masses, where you can do whatever you want and it doesn't really affect anyone else.

EMS (etc) should NOT be out once an evac is called.  They should GTFO as well.  They arent walking on water or holier than thou (sp?), though frankly thats the attitude or mentality that some certainly adopt.  

I am fine with someone staying, and fine with cops/ems saying you are simply on your own until the emergency is over.  Dont call.  Easy peasy.   People die all the time.   

Riding it out often isnt bravado.  There've been plenty of bad calls I am sure.  Once bitten.

"Common sense" stuff tends not to be.   

1 minute ago, JoeyZac said:

Because "it saves lives" is not the answer to everything.

Want to save lives?  Make the maximum speed limit on highways 40mph, and design vehicles so that they cannot do more than 40mph no matter how much gas you give it.  That would save a ton of lives.

But that brings us back to common sense regs, and some things, while they would save lives, just aren't realistic.

Common sense = feel good emotional legislation.  Almost every time.    Plenty of examples in this thread already.  

3 minutes ago, 55555s said:

EMS (etc) should NOT be out once an evac is called.  They should GTFO as well.  They arent walking on water or holier than thou (sp?), though frankly thats the attitude or mentality that some certainly adopt.  

I am fine with someone staying, and fine with cops/ems saying you are simply on your own until the emergency is over.  Dont call.  Easy peasy.   People die all the time.   

Riding it out often isnt bravado.  There've been plenty of bad calls I am sure.  Once bitten.

"Common sense" stuff tends not to be.   

But there are some people with your mindset (anti-nanny state) who would argue that "who is the gov't to tell me to leave?"

And yes, I agree, we shouldn't go out to help, but we all know that our EMS personnel are simply better than that.  They're going to go try.

I'm not saying I have all the answer, or that it's all black and white, but what may be nanny state to you could be just common sense to me, and what is false bravado to you is simply "being a man" to someone else.

It's almost all a judgement call.

1 minute ago, 55555s said:

Common sense = feel good emotional legislation.  Almost every time.    Plenty of examples in this thread already.  

In many cases, yes.  In some, no.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a requirement for kids in seat belts and car seats. If to some, that is "nanny state," well, I could post some pics of mangled kids who got that way because their fathers were true manly men who didn't need no stinkin' seat belt, but I think you get the point.

44 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

But there are some people with your mindset (anti-nanny state) who would argue that "who is the gov't to tell me to leave?"

And yes, I agree, we shouldn't go out to help, but we all know that our EMS personnel are simply better than that.  They're going to go try.

I'm not saying I have all the answer, or that it's all black and white, but what may be nanny state to you could be just common sense to me, and what is false bravado to you is simply "being a man" to someone else.

It's almost all a judgement call.

In many cases, yes.  In some, no.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a requirement for kids in seat belts and car seats. If to some, that is "nanny state," well, I could post some pics of mangled kids who got that way because their fathers were true manly men who didn't need no stinkin' seat belt, but I think you get the point.

It is almost all a judgement call.  Therefore I err on the side of making the least call possible.  

If EMS still wants to come out, its on them, and no one should bitch about it.  Or better yet, perhaps we should make it illegal for them to do so (new laws are good and all) and tell them to stop the false bravado associated with 'doing it anyway'.

See how it all can just go round and round?

Your comments about the seat belt etc is *BS also, beacuse you fail to offer to post the same about motorcycle pics, texting pics, or pics of people who decided to adopt dogs, have scooters, use lawnmowers, give roller skates, go swimming on the beach, use boats, jetskis, etc.  

Seatbelts arent bad.  Someone telling us to use them 'for the children' is BS.   

* edit-  i really didnt mean to call you or your comments BS, but it came out that way.  I'll leave it because I am tired and I am not sure what word I want there instead. 

Edited by 55555s

I've never ridden a motorcycle, so I don't have much of an opinion there.  You tell me, would seat belts on motorcycles make a difference?  I'm thinking you're better off separating from a cartwheeling/flipping bike rather than being attached to it and crushed by it, so I'm not thinking seat belts are a good idea there, but again, you tell me, cause I don't know.

Although, isn't there some kind of law about something that you put on your head, instead of your lap?

Edited by JoeyZac

You have a few ways anti texting would work for just the driver.  The phone can be tied to the users proximity to the gas pedal or steering wheel.  Your phone is your ignition key and your car wont start until texting is on 'drive mode'.  All kinds of fixes for this.  But WTH, our lawmakers are focused on mass shooters.

What would really help on the road is an anti tailgaiting system.  If you get within X amount of feet from a back bumper your cars speed is automatically retarded for 30 seconds.  

Tailgating is getting worse and worse, I see it cause accidents all the time.  

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

3 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

And your point is ?   

Personally I hate texting.   People have to stop everything and reply immediately...

Well, one of my points would be that I don't think we should take advice on how to deal with something like texting from someone who hates texting. :)

14 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

You have a few ways anti texting would work for just the driver.  The phone can be tied to the users proximity to the gas pedal or steering wheel.  Your phone is your ignition key and your car wont start until texting is on 'drive mode'.  All kinds of fixes for this.  But WTH, our lawmakers are focused on mass shooters.

What would really help on the road is an anti tailgaiting system.  If you get within X amount of feet from a back bumper your cars speed is automatically retarded for 30 seconds.  

Tailgating is getting worse and worse, I see it cause accidents all the time.  

The second idea is very funny.  I like it.  But I think we all see the problems with automated systems that affect vehicles in motion.  There are safety issues involved with both of your suggestions.

Lets start by having swift execution for every murderer convicted with NO doubt of guilt.   By this I mean murderers who admit they did it, were caught in the act or captured on video.  Execution within two weeks of a trial and no exceptions.  I would also extend this to attempted murder involving a firearm.  Just because the would be murderer was unsuccessful and the victim survived doesn't mean they should escape the ultimate price for their crime.  Lets start there.

58 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

The second idea is very funny.  I like it.  But I think we all see the problems with automated systems that affect vehicles in motion.  There are safety issues involved with both of your suggestions.

I do not agree.  We see anti collison detectors and lane departure warnings already.  I do not see how you car slowing down 5mph when you get 10 feet from a back bumper over 55mph would be dangerous.  Quite the opposite.  Besides most of tailgating accidents are caused by the tailgaters sudden and constant braking.  To me its simple and dont see a down side.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

44 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

I do not agree.  We see anti collison detectors and lane departure warnings already.  I do not see how you car slowing down 5mph when you get 10 feet from a back bumper over 55mph would be dangerous.  Quite the opposite.  Besides most of tailgating accidents are caused by the tailgaters sudden and constant braking.  To me its simple and dont see a down side.

I'm not talking about a slow down. 

I'm talking about our wives and daughters being stranded at night in a parking lot  because their cell phone, which is the car key, is dead.

Or a malfunctioning system, that turns a car off while they're doing 65mph on a highway.

I did say "in motion," but in retrospect, it' not limited to just a moving vehicle.

Lane departure, collision detection, I love that stuff.  Think it's great.  Honestly I look forward to the time when most (if not all) driving is done by computer.  I think it will save far more lives than the occasional miscalculation costs.

But tying vehicle operation to a cell phone, I think that's problematic.  I would rather see penalties SO HARSH that people truly live in fear of doing it.

15 hours ago, Moonpool said:

texting can be address with a down load that stops texting while moving faster the 5mph

That can create a useless device in a time of need.  Put the burden back on the offender.  Just like guns laws should be.  Kill someone and be killed and removed from society. 

22 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Well, one of my points would be that I don't think we should take advice on how to deal with something like texting from someone who hates texting. :)

:laugh:  You  got me there.

There are safety problems with a lot of new technology today.    Every company involved with new ideas wants to be the first to release.   Sometimes  things don't go as planned.

I do agree with the personal responsibility idea, though  sadly not many do in our society today.