55555s

The Tougher on Crime Thread?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

JoeyZ wants to mop the streets with the bloodied bodies of mid and upper level criminals.  (ok, I jest a little)

 

 

Are current laws and policies wrt violent and nonviolent crimes approrpiate, too light, or too severe?  

 

Do you feel that more felons should be put to death?  Are sentences for (______ you fill in the crime _________) too low?  Are judges to olenient?   

 

Do police do enough to reduce crime or are they fostering a revolving door policy?   

 

What say you, why, and what to do about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll go first.  Sort of.  More ranting than anything else. 

 

I am of the belief that if something is important enough to make a law about, that it should be enforced.   

 

if idling ones car is bad enough to be a crime, then there should be no free passes given just because you'r a good guy, a cute girl, or someone knows your dad.  Officer judgement call should be minimized to the greatest extent possible.  

 

I subscribe to the broken windows theory as well.  People who generally do lots of little things do lots of other things too.  Not always, but on the averages.

 

I am also for minimizing impact on law abiding people.  Drinking and driving should be legalized.    Its legal to have 3-4 beers at a 2 hour dinner and then drive (BAC, it is legal), but I cant have half a beer while driving home in traffic?  nonsense.  

 

Seatbelt laws.  WTF?  I have to wear a seatbelt while driving a freaking YUKON or Econoline, but a guy on a motorcycle can... drive a motorcycle?  Wait, no seatbelt there?  Suddenly its ok.  ****.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To light.

 

I just read a news piece about a guy that got picked up in Florida.  Caught in the act of raping a two year old.  No question about guilt.

 

Shoot him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nessmuk said:

To light.

 

I just read a news piece about a guy that got picked up in Florida.  Caught in the act of raping a two year old.  No question about guilt.

 

Shoot him.

 

On film.  Post to youtube.   18 or older to view with parental warnings, and active online past 9pm.   

 

Bang.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 55555s said:

 

 

I am also for minimizing impact on law abiding people.  Drinking and driving should be legalized.    Its legal to have 3-4 beers at a 2 hour dinner and then drive (BAC, it is legal), but I cant have half a beer while driving home in traffic?  nonsense.  

 

 

Are you really only going to have half a beer?    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The police don't decide on what to prosecute and to what level to prosecute.

 

I blame the prosecution for being too light in many cases and a backed up justice system the enables horse trading down to lesser charges.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes me 20 minutes to commute home from work.  It is a beautiful ride.  Sometimes after a stressful week I would like to dive home while sipping an ice cold Barritts.  By the time I merge, crack it open, and have a few swigs, I'll be home.  So half.  3/4?  Myabe one beer.  

But NOOOOO.  Because some **** ponds 7 at a bar and drives home and kills people, I cant sip one.  

 

Who gets a higher BAC, someone drinking a beer or 2 while driving, or someone drinking a few at a bar, waiting, and THEN driving home?   

 

its assinine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gotcow? said:

The police don't decide on what to prosecute and to what level to prosecute.

 

I blame the prosecution for being too light in many cases and a backed up justice system the enables horse trading down to lesser charges.

 

 

 

They decide who, of those observed breaking a law, will become involved in the system and who will not.   

 

Blaming prosecutors for pleaing down or going light is a different complaint.  

 

 

*EDIT-  not supposed to be a bashing cop thread.  

Edited by 55555s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 55555s said:

It takes me 20 minutes to commute home from work.  It is a beautiful ride.  Sometimes after a stressful week I would like to dive home while sipping an ice cold Barritts.  By the time I merge, crack it open, and have a few swigs, I'll be home.  So half.  3/4?  Myabe one beer.  

But NOOOOO.  Because some **** ponds 7 at a bar and drives home and kills people, I cant sip one.  

 

Who gets a higher BAC, someone drinking a beer or 2 while driving, or someone drinking a few at a bar, waiting, and THEN driving home?   

 

its assinine.  

Then it's distracted driving because some asshat that should be focused on driving is sucking down 1/2 a beer and kills people.

 

Sorry, I have no sympathy for anyone that drives drunk/buzzed/high/stoned ect.

 

I'm of the opinion that one conviction should result I permanent revocation of divers license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gotcow? said:

...........I'm of the opinion that one conviction should result I permanent revocation of divers license.

 

If the penalties for drinking and driving were high enough, people would live their lives in fear of risking it, and the problem would get under control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 55555s said:

I'll go first.  Sort of.  More ranting than anything else. 

 

I am of the belief that if something is important enough to make a law about, that it should be enforced.   

 

if idling ones car is bad enough to be a crime, then there should be no free passes given just because you'r a good guy, a cute girl, or someone knows your dad.  Officer judgement call should be minimized to the greatest extent possible.  

 

I subscribe to the broken windows theory as well.  People who generally do lots of little things do lots of other things too.  Not always, but on the averages.

 

I am also for minimizing impact on law abiding people.  Drinking and driving should be legalized.    Its legal to have 3-4 beers at a 2 hour dinner and then drive (BAC, it is legal), but I cant have half a beer while driving home in traffic?  nonsense.  

 

Seatbelt laws.  WTF?  I have to wear a seatbelt while driving a freaking YUKON or Econoline, but a guy on a motorcycle can... drive a motorcycle?  Wait, no seatbelt there?  Suddenly its ok.  ****.  

 

 

I can shorten this up a little;

 

Don't put off what you can get someone else to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

 

If the penalties for drinking and driving were high enough, people would live their lives in fear of risking it, and the problem would get under control.

Europe has harsh DWI penalties, and not near the problems with it like we do.

The pleading down of inflated charges, and dismissal of cases just puts folks back on the street to offend again.

The justice system is a racket, like all of government is. They have to find enough criminals that can pay up to keep the system afloat, but not enough that can't, and they have to house and feed draining the system of funds.  It is a delicate balance.

The object of our justice system isn't rehab, and zero crime, it is to increase in size(read money), and consolidation of power. It can only do that by increasing arrests and crime. If crime falls to near zero, who needs all the cops, judges and jails?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open container law is why there is so much trash on side of road. But law enforcement has to sort through all these people. They cant run your breath for 30 minutes. But why should anyone be driving around entertaining? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dena said:

Europe has harsh DWI penalties, and not near the problems with it like we do.

The pleading down of inflated charges, and dismissal of cases just puts folks back on the street to offend again.

The justice system is a racket, like all of government is. 

 

The object of our justice system isn't rehab, and zero crime, it is to increase in size(read money), and consolidation of power. It can only do that by increasing arrests and crime. If crime falls to near zero, who needs all the cops, judges and jails?

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.