Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillZ

Dry suit's & dwr replenishment

3 posts in this topic

Curious if any of you guys that have had your supernova dry suit or any other dry suit for that matter for at least a couple of years have had to replenish the dwr?

I've had plenty of various dry tops used in surf casting through the years, found that not all dry tops are created equal but the one thing they do have in common is the need to replenish the dwr over time.

I usually do a replenishment once the water stops beading off the fabric.... 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that with the dry suit, it would probably not diminish as quickly as a dry top used in surf casting that is usually always getting wet as the only time the dry suit really gets wet is if you go in or if you rinse it.

Any thoughts?

I have a Supernova and mine is several years old now.  I have never "washed" it, I rinse it really well after every trip and hang dry it in the basement.  I'm planning to hand wash it this winter and after that I'll treat with DWR.

It definitely doesn't bead water well (or at all) any more.  I think the fish slime on the legs really makes a negative impact on that as well as all the abrasion between the seat and life jacket.

Just getting wet really doesn't wear out DWR, it's more abrasion and dirt that wears it out or prevents water beading up.

Most fabric vendors have a DWRbrating that goes in terms of how many washes it will endure so while some are better and longer lasting they are not permanent

the DWR rating is usually a topical application of sorts

i can only think of two instances in my experience that had inherent dwr 

one was was a polyester fabric that was so tightly woven that it had dwr without coating.  This was amazing, I still have a jacket made of this

the other is a micro peached fabric that the micro fuzzies helped bead the water

too much dwr will impact the breath ability of the fabric