AKR28

Albies Hanging Around Through October 21st ?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello Rhode Island Albie Fans,

My first year chasing Albies with the fly rod....I now understand why this is so addicting....so far a successful trip to the west wall on 10-7 (two great fish) and a not so successful trip to Block Island September 23-24 (many fish seen but no hook ups)...

Question is and understanding October 21st is two weeks away...do Albies usually stick around Block Island that long ? I am assuming they will have left Martha's Vineyard by then...

Thank you.

Kent from NH

Yes! Albie's will still be around.

I wouldn't put all my chips on the table for Block Island though?

You'd be much better off rolling the dice on the mainland.

In a few weeks the water temps should drop ten degrees.

The fish will be moving, a little harder to catch, but you still have chances along the Narragansett Shore line from Monahan's Dock, south to Black Point.

West Wall, Charlestown, even Quonnie on a flood if they have bait trapped. Fire District Beach in Weekapaug, Newport shoreline along Fort Adam's to Ocean Drive too.

Pay attention to the tides and wind direction when selecting a locations. Follow the birds, bring a good set of Binoculars, get the latest intel.

I've only hit right a couple times but I believe albies mass around SoCo just before they depart in late Oct. Ive seen massive schools all up and down the shore for very short periods. Either the fishing of a lifetime or shoulda been here yesterday. 

Numbers at the moment are good. Don't know what temps are but forcast doesn't look stormy so they should hang a little longer.