Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Generator starter battery advice needed

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I have a generac xp8000 generator.  Has a pull start and electric start.  The battery was shot, a real hassle to get to, remove side, drain tank, remove tank, undo bracket, etc, but I got it out.  Before putting in another battery I wanted some advice.  I would like to go to a motorcycle battery, externally placed and hooked to a float charge.  The generator charger is max 48 hours every 29.8743 days for no more than 48 hours blah blah blah.  Real pain in the ass to manage.  It also does not charge with generator running.  So what I want to do, because the generator is in a dedicated location, not moving etc, is to put in a MC battery to a battery tender.  I want to extend the battery cable lengths to accomplish this and just run them external to where the battery was.  I know to keep from chaffing, avoid contact, keep them from burning etc.  Can I just buy some longer leads, maybe two feet instead of one foot, set the battery up and put it on a float and expect that to work?  The battery is a 12v 10aH POS chinese type.  please let me know what you think.  Scott

I don't see why you couldn't use longer leads. But if it were me, I'd simply replace the battery with the same type and float charge it once a week for 1 to 2 hours. That's what I do with my Generac.  The batt is at least 6 years old and holds a charge quite well.  I do dread the day I have to replace the battery. Just like yours, it will take some disassembly to replace.  Odd that your genset does not charge while running.

Edited by rwalter7

THanks Bob, what at a pain in the ass to remove.  Not doing that again.  And I am too freaking busy to remember to charge it once a week for an hour or two.  My tractor is attached to a battery tender and it is brainless, just unhook and go.  Going to do this mod to it and make it easily servicable.  Even if I wanted to move it to somewhere else or loan it out they can take the battery with them or pull start it.  Although pull starting this beast when it is 20 degree's out and hasn't run in a month...shoulder replacement may be required.  S

What I do Scott is put the genset charger on a programmable timer and periodically check operation by starting the genset once a month or so.  It needs to be run anyway just to exercise the engine but that's just my analness.  Why not modify the battery compartment so it's not buried in the frame work. Create a new mount and mount it  externally then you don't have to fuss with connecting and disconnecting. I'm still baffled why your generator doesn't charge while it's running. Something not right there unless it's designed that way. I'm surprised that it would be.  The other thing you could do to maintain a charge without having to worry about keeping it plugged in is to use one of those 15 watt solar panels and charge controller.  I do that with my tractor that lives out in a shed during the winter.

It is designed to not charge, kind of stupid.  Thought about the external application as well...going to be a pain.  Will let you know how this goes.  

Scott, don't forget, you aren't handcuffed to using the same style battery - if the generator stays in one spot, build a little shelf nearby and stick a car battery on it. You also aren't stuck using 1' or 2' leads, no reason you can't make them 5 or 6 feet long. 

I've got a Generac 7500XE or some such model...I fought with the battery dying and replacing it...then, after 3 years of not running, I decided to just pull the string - it started on the first pull :laugh: That's after wasting a lot of combined time on replacing the battery and keeping it charged properly - this thing starts in one or two pulls :th:

TimS

Thanks Tim, was considering a car battery.  This is a beast to pull in the middle of winter when freezing temps.  

this project went very well.  New car battery in place, wires extended.  Oil changed and fresh gas.  Choke out, few hits to the starter and she fired right up!  ran for a few minutes and checked the oil level, topped her off, ready for the crap winter.