55555s

Do you love your job?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Jdeadman66 said:

You work part time?

Kinda. Sorta. Been self employed since 1995 so I do what I have to to make sure me and the family are all set. But, I get to fish pretty much all the good tides, take time off at my leisure etc., but 20+ years of manual labor is taking its toll and I pay for our benefits. The right town or city job for the next 20 years would allow me some retirement and stability as my kids get older and need more and more $$$ for college etc. Not an easy decision for me because I love my freedom, but it would likely be the smart move. 

13 minutes ago, Chunkah said:

Kinda. Sorta. Been self employed since 1995 so I do what I have to to make sure me and the family are all set. But, I get to fish pretty much all the good tides, take time off at my leisure etc., but 20+ years of manual labor is taking its toll and I pay for our benefits. The right town or city job for the next 20 years would allow me some retirement and stability as my kids get older and need more and more $$$ for college etc. Not an easy decision for me because I love my freedom, but it would likely be the smart move. 

If you don't mind, what does the wife do for a living?

17 minutes ago, Chunkah said:

Lots of positions are going to be opening due to the age of the workforce. Most towns have held off on hiring for so long they have no choice but to hire. 

1 hour ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Lots of positions are going to be opening due to the Mexicans getting deported o. Most towns have held off on hiring for so long they have no choice but to hire. 

2 hours ago, Chunkah said:

Sounds like you're my age...mid 40's.  about as much runway left in your working career as you have behind you.  For the average person, 40-55 should be your peak earning years.  Unless you're destined for a high level executive job, talents and upward mobility at this point have most likely been been realized.  If you have very little savings for college, retirement etc this decision should be the easiest one of your life. Time to get to work...The number of surf fisherman who work just enough so they can fish at will is astounding to me.  Have to plan for at least 20 years of life drawing off what you socked away during the working years.  You still have time to put some money away, but father time is knocking at the door.  Best of luck!  

Edited by Oakey

26 minutes ago, HugeDinghy said:

Twin or city job would have you starting in the 40's, maybe 50's...no? 

I didnt think they paid a livable wage ( at first anyway). 

The position I am going to apply for starts at 70.