Trialesquire

Best lure for daytime rough surf ?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

It really depends on time of year and exactly whats in front of me,  if i have a trough than id want a totally different presentation than if i had a shallow gradual sloping  surf line ....

For a daytime bite  on most common shallow surf line beaches I'd most likely try to focus on the opposite side of the bar so that means distance,  tins for the lower column,  pencils for the upper column.  

Up close in a trough than a nice buc first than maybe some rubber something that doesn't dredge.......

Seaweed every cast, need to move to a different location until you get the tide change, and or possibly wind directional change as well. You can try a large surface popper, if that fails move on.

Lou 

Was it thick seaweed, or just picking up a single strand on each cast?

If the seaweed is thick, you probably will have to move to another location.

If it is just a single strand on each cast, you can build a seaweed sweeper into your setup. Just tie a short section of 30 pound mono to your swivel. Trim so less than a half inch of mono is protruding from both sides of the swivel, like a propeller blade. (Most single strands of seaweed first catch on the main line, and as you retrieve moves down the line to your plug.) The mono propeller blade will snag that strand instead - sometimes you will see the blade of seaweed still on the mono at the end of your retrieve, but other times it will just shed the seaweed on the way in.   

Another strategy for light seaweed conditions when there is little seaweed on the surface is to use a popper. A 2 3/8 SS little neck popper can be good in pretty big surf. A pencil popper is not something I normally use in big surf, but the shaking action might let you shake off seaweed strands.

My impression is that having replaced most of my treble hooks with single inline hooks has resulted in less seaweed being snagged.

For heavy surf, my usual plugs are darters, bottle plugs, needlefish, and stubby needlefish. Chartreuse, yellow, blue or parrot (all with a white belly though) I think helps the plug get noticed in the suds. 

6 minutes ago, charliestriper said:

you can build a seaweed sweeper into your setup. Just tie a short section of 30 pound mono to your swivel. Trim so less than a half inch of mono is protruding from both sides of the swivel, like a propeller blade. 

Interesting idea, have to remember that one :th:

I do something with a similar concept when inlet fishing by upping the size of my swivel to one of those bulky crane swivels in weedy situations to catch the weed that zip lines down to the terminal end......  doesn't work 100%  of the time & only really works when you're fishing the lower column though....

Upper column weeds on an ocean beach, i move or come back a few tides later, gotta remember,  on moon tides weeds are usually much more prominent than all other times........

I have  tossed just about everything into rough water over the years including minnow swimmers when fish are close. So it depends on where fish are really and what they want  and getting the lure to them.  I will say it this way, lures that i would feel completely naked without in these conditions would be a variety of bucktail weights some bright colored ones too like yellow or green.  An old school plastic atom 40 and a Ava jig with a red tube are a must for me too. A 3 oz ava jig can run deep in water that practically floats the same weight  

Kastmaster. Id also mention heavily weighted lures like the redfin can really shine under the right conditions. I like my 7 in redfins at about 1.3 oz total but a 1.6 oz or better loaded version can be dynamite in rough water and they can reach out there too. 

They were hitting 7" black and silver savages last 2 nights on an outer cape beach (even though there are no fish there). Got one on a small white Danny. A few on a PT. Jude Nautilus. By far the most hits came on the savage. These fish were all up against the  open beach at the drop off.