nedakjohn

Reel question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Bought a used sage 1680 reel + extra spool off a different fly fishing site forum. Both spools have a specific spot where they grind. I just notified the seller. With no recourse is they anything diy I can do for repair?  Suggestions?

Rock-

I am learning here so can you elaborate.  If the spool is supposed to be perfectly round, how could it grind in only 1 spot?  Spool grinds "under pressure" at 1 spot not on both sides meaning the spool is out of round.  Can I adjust the tolerance of the frame?  Any feedback appreciated.

To be honest I probably have the same amount of knowledge you have. I am just giving input to what it seems like to me. If both spools are grinding at the same spot then it sounds like it is actually the frame (reel part). Maybe your actual reel is bent not the spool. Almost like if a spin reel rotor is bent then you will have grinding on the spool of the reel.

Does the "grind" spot on each spool show a scuff or wear spot on either the spools and/ or the reel frame you can photograph and then post photos?   That may help understand what you are experiencing.

HT

Most likely the grind is coming as you are torqueing the spool slightly during the revolution. Rockhopper is right in the fact that both spools are probably not bent the same way. I bet the frame tolerance is off slightly or bent in slightly so when you crank on it she rubs. Also could be that the internal guts of the reel are not as tight as they should be so the spool has more wiggle than it should when a little torque is applied. Sage will probably look it over if you sent it to them.

The most likely is that the cage of the reel has been damaged and it out of true. There was a reason this reel was up for sale. You are now stuck with resolving this . Not an easy fix with a damaged cage / frame. Seller must have know about this. Sorry for your bad luck.

Mike

I am not familiar with the reel and can't find a good pic of the spool removed - is it a full frame reel? or is it open like where only the reel foot and the side directly opposite the reel foot would interface with the spool? Also is it cast or machined? If machined from bar stock you may have OK luck straightening the frame, but if it's cast don't even bother trying. 

Like others said since it grinds only under pressure it's probably a frame issue. Those are cast reels so I'd contact Sage. If they won't fix or replace check online auctions, the 1600, 1800, and 2000 series all have interchangeable spools, and you may be able to find another reel and you'll have 2 extra spools already.