Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FisherManz

Best Penn reel for Braid line

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello fellow SOL'ers I'm in the market far a new penn reel for my 9ft St. Croix plugin rod. I've heard some Penn reels are better than others for braided line. What's your opinion? I'm leaning towards the Clash model (and don't try talking me out of penn) it's a personal preference :-)

It's not only the arrow but also the indian. But  I've seen first hand some penn reels not laying line well.  And there are plenty of others on sol that have shown pics with the same issue.

Seems to be a quality control issue vs specific make or model.

Just now, scoobydoo said:

It's not only the arrow but also the indian. But  I've seen first hand some penn reels not laying line well.  And there are plenty of others on sol that have shown pics with the same issue.

Seems to be a quality control issue vs specific make or model.

I think I got lucky, have 2 Penns, a Battle2 and a Clash, no problems at all. Line lay looks fine on mine. 

The only thing, and this might be true for every reel, is that don't over full Penn reels lol. I did that and it was a nightmare until I stripped off enough line. The have a gold fill line and if you stay true to it, you won't have a problem. Go over that line and WHAM nothing but wind knots. 

My 11 year old uses a battle2 with fireline 8lb with zero issues.  Ever.  My 9 year old sticks with the 712z in the salt.  Fireline.   the only problem he ever has-  its its not common-  is with  very light lures with wind in face or slow retrieve with incoming waves.  Basically just not getting a tight wrap.  

I know its not braid, but its similar.  

sample of 2

1 minute ago, Danny1199 said:

I think I got lucky, have 2 Penns, a Battle2 and a Clash, no problems at all. Line lay looks fine on mine. 

The only thing, and this might be true for every reel, is that don't over full Penn reels lol. I did that and it was a nightmare until I stripped off enough line. The have a gold fill line and if you stay true to it, you won't have a problem. Go over that line and WHAM nothing but wind knots. 

I say this not to start a Brand vs Brand debate.

But to me that will always be unacceptable.  I can and do fill each of my reels right up to the lip.  If i'm more than 1/16 from the lip..it's probably because i ran out of line.  Or wound it tight and allow for fluff.

I see so many people clammoring for max distance and trouble free casting.  But spooling line closer to the lip is a built in distance booster.  And some brands can do it without any sacrifice.

How a 50$ mitchell can lay line better than reels 10x more....from a company making spinners for 30 years...boggles my mind.

38 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

But to me that will always be unacceptable.  I can and do fill each of my reels right up to the lip.  If i'm more than 1/16 from the lip..it's probably because i ran out of line.  Or wound it tight and allow for fluff.

I see so many people clammoring for max distance and trouble free casting.  But spooling line closer to the lip is a built in distance booster.  And some brands can do it without any sacrifice.

How a 50$ mitchell can lay line better than reels 10x more....from a company making spinners for 30 years...boggles my mind.

I can fill my 50 year old Mitchell 303 closer to the top than my Battle 4000

45 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I hear ya, and if Penn reels didn't perform for me I'd dump em in a heartbeat.  

9 minutes ago, Kima said:

I can fill my 50 year old Mitchell 303 closer to the top than my Battle 4000

It's amazing that if you go over that little gold line the reel turns into a disaster. 

14 minutes ago, Danny1199 said:

It's amazing that if you go over that little gold line the reel turns into a disaster. 

Over the little gold line?  I'm lucky if I can fill it to 1/4 inch of the lip and have it stay on. I stopped using the reel it was such a headache. 

1 hour ago, Kima said:

Over the little gold line?  I'm lucky if I can fill it to 1/4 inch of the lip and have it stay on. I stopped using the reel it was such a headache. 

I think that's where scooby's comment about quality control comes into play. Seems some reels are put together correctly and some aren't. 

If you're lucky enough to get a good one or 2, like I was, you're happy with the reel. If you're unlucky, like you and scooby, you get flawed merchandise, hence opinions are vastly different. 

1 hour ago, Kima said:

Generally if someone said this to me .......and again...not to start a brand war.  They said they were using a stradic or ultegra or ballistic.

I'd say they need to brush up on their line management.

But i've seen it happen with new penns with guys that have fished braid for many years.  And your claim is pretty consistent with many on SOL.

I really think alan hawk hit on something when he mentioned the line roller positioning.

Hmmmm thanks for all the comments! I have an old 5500ss and looking to upgrade to something newer. Here's a follow-up question, I'm using power pro and have experienced wind knots until I took it down to 3/4 of the spool. Any brand of braid you guys think is more superior??

Penn reels made before braid was around are not braid friendly. But do very well with fireline. Penn reels made after braid was created, are braid friendly. But like everyone mentioned, must be a little under spooled.