FunkyColdMedina

Too Much Too Soon?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Pretty new to the surf game; however I want to be as efficient and successful as possible.  I also don’t want to be bored.

I have a surf spinning set up and a bait casting set up.  How efficient or easy is it to:

cast out a bait set up and place it on a staked rod holder for 20-30 minutes.  In the meantime, jig with SP minnow or buck tails?

Am I over doing it or thinking a step ahead?

Edited by FunkyColdMedina

I think every surfcaster worth their salt has done that or does.

However.  You will miss bites with the baited rod.  And you will not be fishing that baited rod as effeiciently as you normally would.  Ie swapping baits when they get washed out.  Or being able to detect chewed off baits by crabs etc.

If you are bait fishing for bass and blues.  Don't spike the rod.  Hold it.

If you get bored then you  might be one who prefers plugging.

There is a time and a place for both.

Learn those times and deploy when appropriate....There are no shortcuts to knowing when.  Just time spent on the water

I thought the same as yourself when I first started. I quickly found it was a bit of a pain in the neck to be checking between two rods at the same time, instead of just concentrating on my plugging. The last thing you want to have happen is to turn around and see your bait rod being pulled out of the sand spike and into the drink, lol. It's either one or the other for me, with it being a plugging rod 99% of the time. In fact, now I always bring two rigs to the beach for 1) Whichever fishing application I need the specific rod for 2) As a backup in case the first rig has an issue and goes down. 

Yeah, we all have done that one time or another, but its best not to dead stick when fishing bait. Theres more to baitfishing than throwing it out there and letting it sit. My first few casts is more about feeling and getting an idea of what the bottom structure is like judging from how the sinker feels. Does it feel like its quickly skipping across the bottom or is it more like a slow drag with an occasional bounce like you pulling it up hill. So on and so forth.

Edited by ORourke

5 minutes ago, ORourke said:

Yeah, we all have done that one time or another, but its best not to dead stick when fishing bait. Theres more to baitfishing than throwing it out there and letting it sit. My first few casts is more about feeling and getting an idea of what the bottom structure is like judging from how the sinker feels. Does it feel like its quickly skipping across the bottom or is it more like a slow drag with an occasional bounce like you pulling it up hill. So on and so forth.

My first few times it felt like I was getting bites but it was just the waves batting my 3 oz sinker around.  I’ll roll with my jigs tomorrow morning and let the gods take care of the rest.

worst case I get nature for several hours and have the learning experience.