FunkyColdMedina

Too Much Too Soon?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Pretty new to the surf game; however I want to be as efficient and successful as possible.  I also don’t want to bored.

I have a surf spinning set up and a bait casting set up.  How efficient or easy is it to:

cast out a bait set up and place it on a staked rod holder for 20-30 minutes.  In the meantime, jig with SP minnow or buck tails?

Am I over doing it or thinking a step ahead?

I'm fairly new to the game but the Best advice i can give ya is learn how to read structure & water movement, wether it be open beaches our rocky areas it will allow you to see what part of the water to target.  

Leave the bait rod at home, it really hinders mobility. If the particular area your fishing is not producing don't be afraid to make a move to find them

When I started, I thought like that as well. I used to stake out four rods with bait on them. Other times I’d take out two rods and try to throw Lures with the third.

Personally, I found it not all that enjoyable, hard to manage and maintain, I didn’t increase my success at all. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

I think you’re better off picking one thing, lures or bait, and focusing on doing just that well. 

I do still stake two rods when bait fishing, though. When I’m re-baiting one I cast the other out. Then switch up again when I’m pulling the other one.  That way I’ve always got bait in the water, And I’ve always got a back up rod and reel of something malfunctions on the first unit.  

And probably 50% of the guys here will tell you to hold the rod and not stake it.  Missed taps and hits.   I think I’m moving to this camp.  One rod held and managed well is best.

Do not use a bait set up and a plug set up at the same time, you will break your neck constantly looking at your bait set up while your plugging!! Yes learn to read the water and watch what other surfcasters do, learn the tides in the areas closest to you along with wind direction and high & low pressure systems, Sounds like alot but it really isn't once you get into the groove. Remember that fish are always moving and will stick around a particular area if there's bait. Learn to use a teaser at night always.

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

Do not use a bait set up and a plug set up at the same time, you will break your neck constantly looking at your bait set up while your plugging!! Yes learn to read the water and watch what other surfcasters do, learn the tides in the areas closest to you along with wind direction and high & low pressure systems, Sounds like alot but it really isn't once you get into the groove. Remember that fish are always moving and will stick around a particular area if there's bait. Learn to use a teaser at night always.

Wow, that sounds like a lot.  Any good sources to read up on the impacts of all these factors?  

There are a few surfcasting books.  On the Water, In-Fisherman, ********** all feature great surfcasting articles but

The only way to get good at something is to practice practice practice.  The more you are focused on using lures, the easier it will be to catch fish.  Also, the conditions that produce fish when using bait are the same conditions as when you use lures.  Deciding where to cast your bait should not be blind, and neither should deciding where to fish lures.  

7 minutes ago, hunt for blueessss said:

There are a few surfcasting books.  On the Water, In-Fisherman, ********** all feature great surfcasting articles but

The only way to get good at something is to practice practice practice.  The more you are focused on using lures, the easier it will be to catch fish.  Also, the conditions that produce fish when using bait are the same conditions as when you use lures.  Deciding where to cast your bait should not be blind, and neither should deciding where to fish lures.  

I think that’s my main issue.  I do cast blindly and hope for the best.  The only factors I use now are birds (seagulls) and high tide.  I’m unsure of any other factors.  

Just now, FunkyColdMedina said:

I think that’s my main issue.  I do cast blindly and hope for the best.  The only factors I use now are birds (seagulls) and high tide.  I’m unsure of any other factors.  

Ok I'll simplify how I fish for bass and blues - take what you like and know that there are many other factors (and disagreements)

• READ articles - don't take shortcuts as a rule - good fisherman aren't lazy fisherman.  If you need a shortcut, hire a guide and catch fish from boats using their knowledge and remain ignorant 
  • Study Fish and their habits
  • Fish moving water - doesn't have to be moving fast, just moving.  Sea robins will definitely let you know when slack tide hits on bait days
  • No such thing as too windy - Just too windy for too long - a heavy blow for a day or two can ignite fishing dependent on the weather and location
  • Fish arrive for a reason - be prepared to move from spot to spot, but learn why they arrive at one spot to begin with - read up on "Structure" - hard and soft types

YouTube will help with videos.  John Skinner is an excellent teacher.  Good luck from here :)

22 minutes ago, hunt for blueessss said:

Ok I'll simplify how I fish for bass and blues - take what you like and know that there are many other factors (and disagreements)

• READ articles - don't take shortcuts as a rule - good fisherman aren't lazy fisherman.  If you need a shortcut, hire a guide and catch fish from boats using their knowledge and remain ignorant 
  • Study Fish and their habits
  • Fish moving water - doesn't have to be moving fast, just moving.  Sea robins will definitely let you know when slack tide hits on bait days
  • No such thing as too windy - Just too windy for too long - a heavy blow for a day or two can ignite fishing dependent on the weather and location
  • Fish arrive for a reason - be prepared to move from spot to spot, but learn why they arrive at one spot to begin with - read up on "Structure" - hard and soft types

YouTube will help with videos.  John Skinner is an excellent teacher.  Good luck from here :)

Thanks for the info.  I’ve read articles but as you said there are disagreements and different views. I also appreciate John Skinners name.  I’m not getting down on my labels.  Been out about 6 times and caught two Stripers, but only with clams.

ill stay patient and keep trying. 

Thanks again. 

36 minutes ago, FunkyColdMedina said:

Thanks for the info.  I’ve read articles but as you said there are disagreements and different views. I also appreciate John Skinners name.  I’m not getting down on my labels.  Been out about 6 times and caught two Stripers, but only with clams.

ill stay patient and keep trying. 

Thanks again. 

Think about where you caught fish.  Anywhere a fish has been caught is valuable - there's a reason it was swimming there.  Start to record data.  Your personal record helps and remember this ---- fish can be caught 20 feet away all night from where you're standing by another person.  Don't eliminate an entire area because you haven't caught fish in one specific spot (that can be as small as a boulder)

3 minutes ago, hunt for blueessss said:

Think about where you caught fish.  Anywhere a fish has been caught is valuable - there's a reason it was swimming there.  Start to record data.  Your personal record helps and remember this ---- fish can be caught 20 feet away all night from where you're standing by another person.  Don't eliminate an entire area because you haven't caught fish in one specific spot (that can be as small as a boulder)

The last place I went to, I went twice.  First, I stayed in one spot for about three hours and nothing.  The last time I went there, I moved around the waterfront and again nothing. I noticed some seagulls and a few robins, but most were just sitting there relaxing.  I’m thinking of moving on from this spot and venture out.  

The place I caught the two was at a beach on vacation.  A bit of a ride but may give it a shot.

thanks again/ 

Lol don't travel far if you live close to an area where bass are being caught, and it's accessible.  Just try to match the area.  

Quiz: 

What have you read about fishing sandy beaches?  

What lures have you purchased and fished with so far?  Which are your favorites?  Which would you like to learn more about? 

On 10/7/2017 at 8:24 PM, FunkyColdMedina said:

Pretty new to the surf game; however I want to be as efficient and successful as possible.  I also don’t want to bored.

I have a surf spinning set up and a bait casting set up.  How efficient or easy is it to:

cast out a bait set up and place it on a staked rod holder for 20-30 minutes.  In the meantime, jig with SP minnow or buck tails?

Am I over doing it or thinking a step ahead?

Try Molders fishing preserve...:cool:

Lou T

molders.jpg

Edited by Lou T

2 hours ago, hunt for blueessss said:

Lol don't travel far if you live close to an area where bass are being caught, and it's accessible.  Just try to match the area.  

Quiz: 

What have you read about fishing sandy beaches?  

What lures have you purchased and fished with so far?  Which are your favorites?  Which would you like to learn more about? 

Pop quiz? Ha ha ok.

Went on Salt Strong and read about analyzing online maps, and looking for vegetation and pieces  of land that stick out.  When I jig, try to make the lure swim with the current.  If possible try to make the swim across the shoreline.  That’s all got.

As for lures, I got three SP minnows variety of colors. One black purple, which many recommend.  Also got a pencil sand eel lure.  I also just got three buck tails.  The SP Minnows and pencil lure are my favorite but the to get caught on rocks or other objects.  But want to learn more about these.  However I haven’t caught anything with either.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:01 PM, FunkyColdMedina said:

Pop quiz? Ha ha ok.

Went on Salt Strong and read about analyzing online maps, and looking for vegetation and pieces  of land that stick out.  When I jig, try to make the lure swim with the current.  If possible try to make the swim across the shoreline.  That’s all got.

As for lures, I got three SP minnows variety of colors. One black purple, which many recommend.  Also got a pencil sand eel lure.  I also just got three buck tails.  The SP Minnows and pencil lure are my favorite but the to get caught on rocks or other objects.  But want to learn more about these.  However I haven’t caught anything with either.

I'll reply to this shortly :)