Big Will

Seigler SG reels

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

No experience at all but I'm thinking about the SGN. I saw them a one of the shows last year and fiddled a bit and talked to the guy. They appear to be a very good quality product a a very reasonable price. 

I did end up with an SGN and i like it so far but is too soon to tell if I’ll like it in the long run. I have confidence that I will. 

The one thing that someone(Slayer) pointed out on a recent trip is the handle is all aluminum metal so when it gets cold it will make your hand cold. The hard Eva foam grip is a better choice if you fish the cold cold and you are a sissy. 

I got mine about a month ago and really like it. I haven’t gotten to fish it yet but I can tell it is very well made especially for the price. I had it spoooled with 50 pound braid and it fits close to 500 yards. It has a ton of very smooth drag probably more than advertised. Seems like a good all around reel for anything inshore but could also handle larger offshore fish as well. I’ll be testing it out next week on an 18 hour offshore wreck trip. 

Edited by Big Will

I’ve taken my mine out a few times on some Tog trips and it’s a sturdy and strong reel in a nice compact package. I have an SGN and my only complaint is the clicker. It’s very easy to accidentally hit the clicker when making a cast or drop. I snapped a few necks on my side of the boat the other day on a party boat for Tog. It sounded like a had tuna making run when I was pitching my 8oz lead + bait. :eek:

On 12/20/2017 at 7:22 PM, BrianBM said:

Big Will, how'd you like the reel once you used it? 

The funny thing is I haven’t yet. Get this I have off Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s and have been scheduled for the 18 hour wreck trip out of Brielle on a certain boat and every single week it gets canceled. 3 weeks in a row so far bad offshore forecast. I’m trying this Tuesday and crossing my fingers. Not even the tog boats would go out those days. 

Gave it a shot today on some tog and a cod. Works fine as I predicted. Nice smooth gearing and drag. Not really much of a test I’d rather try it on gator blues or even tuna. I’m sure with 500 yards of 65lb braid and 30lbs of drag it would have no problem with any tuna under a 100lbs. The gear ratio at 6:1 could be a little lower for more torque though. 

I own the SGN and it will handle just about anything that swims. Perfect reel for bottom fishing or live lining. I have seen videos of tuna caught on them and they did fine. For the money it can not be beat. 

Like a dummy I over tightend the reel seat clamp and snapped the 3.5mm allen head bolt, one phone call and they had me rigged out in 3 days no questions asked and no charge. Can’t ask for better customer service. Lifetime warranty is awesome!