john1234

Messed up a fish pretty bad

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I was into a bunch of schoolies this afternoon the rear hook on my pencil swung around and got the little guy right behind the pectoral and ripped him wide open about 3 inches up his side not bleeding though, who thinks this bass will survive?

I got my friend in the neck once, didn't know he was behind me, bam, not deep, but felt bad.  He wound up catching a 48 LB Striper.  Biggest one I've seen in person.  I told him to hook me next time so can catch a 50.

Not messed up by me but had a dead bottlenose dolphin float by me. Had a huge pink plug in its mouth locking its jaws shut. 

Must of thought it was a squid.

1 hour ago, john1234 said:

I was into a bunch of schoolies this afternoon the rear hook on my pencil swung around and got the little guy right behind the pectoral and ripped him wide open about 3 inches up his side not bleeding though, who thinks this bass will survive?

Part of the game. Keep another pencil rigged with a single hook.

Have been changing all treble hooks on my lures to single inline hooks. Have not lost a single fish using a single hook and the release is less bloody and just a quick pick out of the hook. Safer for me and for the fish. Using VMC or Owner inline hooks. 

The fish you caught  should be fine. I've got bass and blues that had bites out of them from seals or sharks or whatever that had healed and the fish was still alive. A hook scratch in the back is the least if it's concerns. 

16 hours ago, john1234 said:

:beatin:

If you must educate small school-lies, change out your plug to one with a single Siwash or inline hook..!  :beatin: 

Hopkins-Shorty-Lures.jpg

Lou T

I've found a vendor that sells VMC inline hooks in bulk. They are selling their 10 packs of hooks for less than other vendors are selling their 6 packs of hooks. Their 25 and 100 packs are even better bargains. (Can't mention the vendor's exact name, but they specialize in tackle.)

The inline hooks are easier on the fish, and minimize the chance of getting hooked yourself.

They even make it easier to put plugs in your bag and taking them out without tangling another plug in the same tube.

Edited by TimS
If a shop's name is auto censored that means the owners of this website do not want to promote them here - not in any way...not even telling people how to Google them. Thanks

People mention tackle stores all the time on notoriety, when they want to bash them!

A good one deserves to get the same recognition, I think...:)

Lou T 

Edited by TimS
quote removed