bigfish4me

A good buy

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So... being a machinist has its perks .... picked this snow blower up for $25, older dude just wheeled it out to the curb and he couldn't get replacement parts for it. He took care of it... had it serviced every year but the bearing on the auger shaft went and wrecked the shaft.

 

i could have made the whole dam thing but figured I would go with the easy fix first. The shaft was 7/8 ( .875) ... I had to turn it down on the lathe to .680 to make it even... I wanted as much diameter left on the shaft as possible. 

 

Made a bushing that was 7/8" in od... and bored it out to .680 id... drilled a hole in the center then cut it down the middle on a band saw. Clamp it on the shaft... tack weld it at the hole and grind it flush... a $16 dollar bearing and 2 hours of work and I'm moving some snow.

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jdeadman66 said:

I shoulda been a machinist. Ever try and make your own rifle?

I am working on a program to flute the outside of a barrel for my neighbor ... who builds loooong range customs, its true 4 axis machining and barely fits in my machine  ( limited to 34" of travel) .... but I've dabbled in other things gun wise that I would have to plead the 5th to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jdeadman66 said:

My wife would love that. She’s on the warpath. Couch for me tonight. 

Red'll lone you the dog bed ,couches are bad for the back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

So... being a machinist has its perks .... picked this snow blower up for $25, older dude just wheeled it out to the curb and he couldn't get replacement parts for it. He took care of it... had it serviced every year but the bearing on the auger shaft went and wrecked the shaft.

 

i could have made the whole dam thing but figured I would go with the easy fix first. The shaft was 7/8 ( .875) ... I had to turn it down on the lathe to .680 to make it even... I wanted as much diameter left on the shaft as possible. 

 

Made a bushing that was 7/8" in od... and bored it out to .680 id... drilled a hole in the center then cut it down the middle on a band saw. Clamp it on the shaft... tack weld it at the hole and grind it flush... a $16 dollar bearing and 2 hours of work and I'm moving some snow.

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Why not just mig it up and turn it down ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mitchell master said:

Why not just mig it up and turn it down ?

It's retained by the bearing... it's not going any where.. , and it would take hours to turn down that weld ... which would have warped the shaft ... unless I spent hours laying a bead and letting it cool. ... machining weld sucks especially on the lathe where I don't have a coolant system.. my fix will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, redfishkiller said:

i'm on trouble to :shrug: 

Me three... I shoulda went and killed a deer... oh well grilling up some bacon elk burgers with sautéed onions, trying to find the end of a 30 pack of these ... and then I'm gonna stagger over and kill me some bees

IMG_0739.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigfish4me said:

Me three... I shoulda went and killed a deer... oh well grilling up some bacon elk burgers with sautéed onions, trying to find the end of a 30 pack of these ... and then I'm gonna stagger over and kill me some bees

IMG_0739.JPG

Now things are getting good. Love the direction we are heading. 3 guys in trouble with beer, bees, smoke bombs, and the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.