Fishingbert

Van staal problems

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have had a van staal vs200 for two years now and I will admit I have loved it and hated it. First off great reel when it is working. However for a reel of that price i did not expect this many issues. From may until now I have had troubles with anti reverse. After reeling for 3-5 retrieves I can "back reel 1 turn" pretty sure this is not normal? Another issue has been the drag. The drag seems to be completely shot all just one strength now and makes a squeaking sound when turned. Once the drag problem had occurred I stopped fishing it and have relied on my shimano since then. If anyone knows the reason for this please let me know. Lastly I have decided to service it as there is nothing else to do at this point. Any predictions on how much this may cost ? Thanks in advance for any replies

Edited by Fishingbert

I would have sent it back for service as soon as it became unreliable. Even though they are the most reliable surf reel out there, occasionally stuff happens. When something is wrong, gotta get it fixed (won't fix itself).  I send mine in every other year or so just for routine service, I think that really helps in the reel reliability area and it not breaking down big time. My biggest bill from them over 15 or so years was ~$80. Had stuff covered under warranty a time or two.

Good luck with it when you get it back.

2 minutes ago, Surfratiam said:

I would have sent it back for service as soon as it became unreliable. Even though they are the most reliable surf reel out there, occasionally stuff happens. When something is wrong, gotta get it fixed (won't fix itself).  I send mine in every other year or so just for routine service, I think that really helps in the reel reliability area and it not breaking down big time. My biggest bill from them over 15 or so years was ~$80. Had stuff covered under warranty a time or two.

Good luck with it when you get it back.

Thanks. Did you have one of the 7000 or newer numbers? Curious to see if they will cover anything on a out of warrranty 20000 serial number one

Your anti reverse bearing is in the side cover. Last time I ordered a new side cover it was like $70 with the bearing pressed in. I would just order another. 

If you swim or dunk your reel it should be serviced. You cannot change the critical seall for the pinion with the self service kit. 

My x series 150 does the same exact thing. Like the cup feels like it can move too far back too along with the reeling backwards thing. I reeled mine in way more than once backwards but once I make a few casts with it it's fine. I need to get it serviced bad but am going to need it for the fall. Thinking about just doing the side cover? For the time being. Is that really what the issue could be ged?

Edited by linesiderdemdnj

Get it serviced ASAP, the anti reverse is shot and needs to be replaced. When you get it back learn how to service the reel yourself , the anti-reverse needs to be machine pressed from what I've heard. Always bring a gallon of fresh water with you when fishing to wash off your reel at all times. Make sure when you open your reel all components are cleaned properly then replace your grease with synthetic gear oil. When closing up your reel use a little clear caulk sealant on the threads. I have been doing this for many years and never had any issues with my VS reels, I also put a couple of drops of gear oil on the anti-reverse.

Most likely just sticky needles in the bearing, not uncommon, most people advise that the bearing is shot....

If the needles cant move back & forth freely in the bearing cage than the bearing will slip and you will have occasional intermittent reverse cranks.......

If the bearing was truly shot it would have no antireverse whatsoever......

Unless you had a catastrophic event that put extreme back pressure on the reel than most likely the bearing just need to be cleaned & relubed with a light bearing oil, too much heavy lube in the bearing is usually the culprit.

You'd need to have your drag locked down and not have your line break before any damage happens to  the bearing.

Of course people make money changing unnecessary parts but that's a totally different conversation altogether....

Look for  cracks or breaks in the frame housing the bearing needles or broken springs, you'll be able to inspect it visually with the side cover off.....

Beast regards...

Edited by BillZ

Drag;

If the drag stack is not decompressing when you loosen the drag & your getting a squeaking sound when you try to turn it than it could mean you had some water intrusion, sounds more like a bearing issue than anything else, vs used to put non stainless bearings in the sealed drag stack which would be fine if water NEVER infiltrated the sealed drag but a rusted bearing problem has the exact symptoms as you describe.

I'd break down the drag & inspect, it's a real easy job........ upper bearing is a slip fit,  lower bearing is a press fit,  imo,  only challenge is reinstalling the spool hub into the lower seal......

Edited by BillZ