scoobydoo

tankless vs traditional water heaters

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Anyone have any opinions?

Installation cost differences?

I had a 40 gallon and it was fine.  Probably have to go to a 30 due to the 40s being larger than they were back in 05.

18" diameter is the max i can fit.

Figured I can probably get away with a cheap tankless.  But have no idea what is involved with installation costs.

I don't have great water pressure to begin with. even with cold water i'd be shocked if i get 8 gallons per minute.

Edited by scoobydoo

Just upgraded to tankless heat/hot water combo unit. Works well and never seems to run out of hot water. Biggest complaint is that can take up to a minute For the water to heat up. Installation costs were actually lower on the tankless.

Edited by Slack Tidings

Woah....that ish is expensive....gotta get a new gasline...inch and a half  and 200$ service per year.....yikes...

I was hoping for a nice pay once.....make up the savings in the long term....with a bonus of extra space gained....not lookin like it.

Don't forget the huge vent it needs, usually it needs to be through the wall for air intake, tougher to do if you're in a deep basement. I have a indirect tank as a zone on my cold start boiler, has much lower standby losses than a traditional tank heater, especially with a programmable thermostat where you can widen the temp gap so it doesn't cycle at all during the day.

2 hours ago, Dave588 said:

Inch and a half is pretty big. Unless your running a hotel, I can't see why you'd need that much.

Most tankless have a 200,000 btu burner.

could require 1 1/2" gas line depending on length.

If it's superbowl sunday, and you lose hot water with a 40 gallon Tank?  2 hours later or less you can have a new tank in place...lf you do it yourself?  It's 500-600 bucks in parts or pay a plumber on a weekday 1300-1700 inspected and installed or pay the higher premium on a weekend.  ..If it's a Navien ,Rinnai or any wall hung?  Chances are it will be under warranty but you won't have hot water on Sunday or probably Monday either. Most of us Plumbers are now stocking parts or at least keeping a wall hung or two hanging around, and rob the part I may need, then wait for the warranty part to be shipped, some better supply houses also stock the parts but more likely than not it will have to be shipped 1-2 day. Try telling that to a customer with a 2 year old system I put in and tell them it will be 2 days before I can get HW back. Been there done that. I'm powerless over it.

Wall Hung's are not maintenance free either. Every year you need to clean the coil. Those tiny fins get clogged up and scaled and makes heat transfer a problem. All depends on well you take care of it and water clarity and treatment. Strainers are always a good idea. Sooner or later you will end up paying us Plumbers in the end.

Personally, I feel Combi Boilers Wall hung are the better value but it will be the same maintenance. Like I said, scale can effect transfer. Just don't get sold when someone tells you all this is maintenance free.

3 hours ago, ted527 said:

Most tankless have a 200,000 btu burner.

could require 1 1/2" gas line depending on length.

i have never seen one with more than a 3/4 " gas line going to it. 

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

If it's superbowl sunday, and you lose hot water with a 40 gallon Tank?  2 hours later or less you can have a new tank in place...lf you do it yourself?  It's 500-600 bucks in parts or pay a plumber on a weekday 1300-1700 inspected and installed or pay the higher premium on a weekend.  ..If it's a Navien ,Rinnai or any wall hung?  Chances are it will be under warranty but you won't have hot water on Sunday or probably Monday either. Most of us Plumbers are now stocking parts or at least keeping a wall hung or two hanging around, and rob the part I may need, then wait for the warranty part to be shipped, some better supply houses also stock the parts but more likely than not it will have to be shipped 1-2 day. Try telling that to a customer with a 2 year old system I put in and tell them it will be 2 days before I can get HW back. Been there done that. I'm powerless over it.

Wall Hung's are not maintenance free either. Every year you need to clean the coil. Those tiny fins get clogged up and scaled and makes heat transfer a problem. All depends on well you take care of it and water clarity and treatment. Strainers are always a good idea. Sooner or later you will end up paying us Plumbers in the end.

Personally, I feel Combi Boilers Wall hung are the better value but it will be the same maintenance. Like I said, scale can effect transfer. Just don't get sold when someone tells you all this is maintenance free.

how much do you guys get to flush one out, do you use the pump and five gallon bucket method?

27 minutes ago, redfishkiller said:

i have never seen one with more than a 3/4 " gas line going to it. 

3/4" is fine if you're only going 10'

7 hours ago, dena said:

Too much.

They are Plumbers.

Too much might not even be enough.

Plumbers slog through a lot of **** in their careers.

I don't resent the cost of a good plumber. 

I have a Rinnai for going on 12 years now. Not one problem. I installed it myself, had the propane run to it by the propane folks, got it inspected and have not had even one problem.

There is over 100 feet of gas line from the buried tank to the water heater. From the 500 gallon tank there is one size flex line that goes to a set of joints, one for the 20KW generator, one water heater, 2 gas fired furnaces, a second rough in for a second water heater (the electric one is still working) and a rough in for a gas cooktop. It was all sized by the installer and passed code.