jjdbike

Glide Baits for dummies please?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

These are interesting lures. While they are shaped like a baitfish, they have no lip or noticable built in action. I’m looking to increase my distance options from a sand beach beyond heavy metal, needles, polaris, pencils, spooks, and bottles. Looking to fill the nitch of a lipped swimmer that will cast farther than a big SP or a Jr. These glude baits, especully the heavier ones,  may fit the bill. Would you agree w/ this?

I see they are popular in the canal (e.g. Sebile). How about on sand beaches?

As opposed to haw they look, do these have any built in action or if one wants action it needs to be imparted by angler (e.g. needle)?

How does one present / fish these?

What are your favorite brands & modles? How about custom woods?

Thanks in advance!

JD

They work best with some current, and "glide" through the water with a wide left to right motion. If you are fishing a sandy beach your best bet will be a floating type. Moderate retrieve in light current, slow it down and let the water do the work in stronger current. Loki sea gliders and skinny minnis are my favorite.

I have a smaller sinking Sebile that I thought had a nice peanut look.  Been using a gentle pencil type of retrieve that you might use with a needle but haven't  really got a feel for it yet though.

6 hours ago, part cork said:

I have a smaller sinking Sebile that I thought had a nice peanut look.  Been using a gentle pencil type of retrieve that you might use with a needle but haven't  really got a feel for it yet though.

Thanks for sharing. I gather the Sebiels are popular, especially in the canal.

Ive gotta say, you’v got me perplexed w/ “.:.using a gentle pencil type retrieve that you might use with a needle.”

Can you please explain? This sounds like two different things to me.

Thank.

JD

12 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks for sharing. I gather the Sebiels are popular, especially in the canal.

Ive gotta say, you’v got me perplexed w/ “.:.using a gentle pencil type retrieve that you might use with a needle.”

Can you please explain? This sounds like two different things to me.

Thank.

JD

I've never caught on needles with a slow strait retrieve, only when I impart action. I probably use them in water that's too calm but usually I'll give the needle a slight back and forth action by working the rod like you would to work a pencil. Just much more gentle and slower shakes. Have been using the same retrieve on the sebile so far but I think most glide baits are made to have a wider walk the dog motion than I'm giving it. It's a work in progress, a few times this past spring have been by first attempts with it and have not connected on any fish yet.

I have caught fish on the sebile stick shad both open beach and deeper areas with current.  I use the 155 size.  It wanders back and forth not unlike a darter.  When fishing at night I just use a slow steady retrieve, maybe a few twitches here or there.  When fishing during the day I fish it faster with more twitches or pulls of the rod to make it speed up and then dart off to one side.  Slow sink for open beach and fast sink for deeper areas with current.

Spooks and glides are about the same thing. Rapala makes some really nice ones with in line hook set ups and they cast a mile. My method  when I use one is to just give it a repeating moderate tug and let it do it's thing, whatever conditions allow. Especially this time of year when bass and blues will have the feed bag on. They will hit anything they can fit in their mouth that looks like it is swimming, regardless of whether they imitate a specific bait or not. Night is a good time to try them. 

I think at this point in time linsider 69 gliders are the best and most versatile on the market. They cast super far  and are fish catchers. the bass crush these things.  the stick shad is another  good one however it does not cast far and they do break. In my opinion if it'snot ghost scent it's not going in the bag. I also prefer the 155 here in slow sink.  I also use a bone magic swimmer that is about 8 inches. 

12 minutes ago, hobobob said:

Savage gear freestyler. Great hardware. Durable. The most affordable glide bait by far.  Don't even sweat it if bluefish bit you off. 

do you use the smaller version or larger?

41 minutes ago, hobobob said:

I use them both. The smaller version cast better. The larger version has a wider lazier gliding action. 

I might have to try that out