jasbake2

Blue Frog Bucktails availability....

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

The last three years I've been using Blue Frog "Original" Bucktails w/swing hook more & more from Jetties. These are the best Bucktails on the planet IMO...they present well with pork/fat cow/otter/paddle tail tips, are really well made, strong reliable hooks, hold up well clanging the rocks...those of you who fish them know of what I speak.

Since June, the B&T shops that I frequent in NJ & LI have been saying they are struggling to get inventory, most recently this week up on LI...Some have sold out completely, others only have 1/2 oz. & 3 oz. sizes left on the rack. 

Anyone know what's going on? WHERE TO GET THE 1.0/1.5/2.0 sizes?

Thanks!

What head shape are you looking for?  They made several.  There was the "shovel head slope", arrowhead and the potbelly.  If I'm not mistaken the pot belly was the original or at least I've seen it advertised that way.

you might want to check out tinman tackle Dan Tinman in the commercial buy/sell/trade forum here. his jigs are top notch! tons of hair, strong sharp hooks and a forward eye. doesn't get much better

Edited by TimS
Dan sells his jigs and lureson this site in the CBST Forum

6 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'm asking again.  What head shape?  I may be able to help, head shape depending.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the bullet head with swing hook.(image bellow) Bluefrog does have a somewhat unique looking hook eye 

IMG_6597.PNG

Thanks guys! ....Keep your pants on Tinman - I WAS FISHING YESTERDAY AND COULDN'T GET BACK TO YOU UNTIL THIS AM :).... (No Bass, only 4-5 lb. Bluefish & a 20" Fluke, all returned to Sea after brief visits)...Tinman: the Arrowhead Swing Hook with the word "ORIGINAL" on the packaging are the ones I'm looking for, Both white, and chat reuse. 

Hmmm...If the company has decided not to make them anymore due to Thailand manufacturing or other Supply Chain issues - hopefully the owners sort this out or perhaps sell the designs/ process so pruduction could be resurrected. THEY're the best (IMO)...Whew, first Uncle Josh, and now this!!! What's a fisherman to do??? Again - thanks fellas!

My take on swing hook jigs is not so positive.  When I had my boat I had many parachute type jigs.  When I sold my boat i started using the parachute jigs with swing hooks in the Cape Cod Canal.  I had cut much of the long trailing synthetic fibers back to regular bucktail length but I found the swing hooks caused many hang ups on the rough bottom.  I found that I hardly ever hung up using regular buck tail jigs with the fixed upright hooks.  

The owner of the company is a local to Long Islander. Here is some info that was posted directly to the Facebook page on 1/28/18. If I ever see them for sale at local surf expos I'll grab you a couple.

"Hello from Blue Frog BUCKTAILS 
We apologize for not saying much lately on our Facebook page. 

There have been lots of rumors about the demise of our company since many of the tackle shops we sell, don't have much product on hand or have decided to not order. 

Unfortunately our main factory overseas has closed its doors and when we sold out of several more popular items/ colors, many of the tackle shops have not placed orders which is understandable. We have actively sourced our products overseas and currently have rejected many samples , as we will not settle for sub standard BUCKTAILS. 

We pride ourself in making sure our products are the best they can be made with premium raw materials quality hooks. 

That being said , we still have lots of product on hand and will continue to sell what is available at several of the winter shows at some very very competitive prices. 

We are still sourcing additional suppliers and hope at one point to have all of the items back in stock, but until then take advantage of our wholesale direct prices available at the shows and possibly online directly in the near future.

Thanks for the support of our customers, who surprise me often with more passion than we can imagine for our quality BUCKTAILS."

Edited by RobG922

Thanks RobG922! I appreciate seeing the 1/28/18 FB entry.

Over the past couple of years since my original post - I've been able to pick-up a few BLUE FROGS here and there...Always on the look out... but by now I've found with my stock slowly dwindling - that I rarely use them on Jetties, mostly in the Surf --->> they somehow seem to last much longer that way...GO FIGURE!

Thanks again man!

I am down to my last one :(   when I eventually lose it I am gonna be sad. Only reason I havent lost it is I hardly carry it anymore. Cant lose it if u dont fish it lol

Edited by genu