Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

SD Card filled

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a general question. last night I filled and SD card and it was not at a critical moment so I was able to go through it and clear out a bunch of pictures to make space that should hold me for a bit.

My question is the card seems to hold them in groups of a thousand and all the jpeg numbers seem to start at P1000000 so the first picture on the card would be numbered at P1010001and after I get toP1010999 it goes to P1020001. I understand the higher the resolution the less pictures the card will hold and that is okay.

I save all my pictures to my pc  so my question is when I get a new card and format it will the new card start out using the same jpeg number sequence. I am wondering if it does will this become an issue when I tried to download  photo from the new card because it will say that file already exists.

I save my photos to pc by date, no conflict with numbering.  I also schedule a backup of pics from my SD card to portable hard drive and then format that card and re-use.

It probably depends on the camera, each brand of camera might have slightly different ways of naming the files. I'm using Nikon, so at least on my cameras, the picture name will rotate after it reaches its maximal number, e.g. if start with ABC00000 and goes all the way to ABC99999, then it will wrap around becomes ABC00000 again. The file name number is controlled by the camera body, not by card. So when start using a new card, if on the old card the last file name was ABC12345, then on the new card, it will start with ABC12346. 

As fluke is doing, I also download pictures to computer and separate them by date folder, so it has very less chance to have a overwritten file in the same folder/date. 

Thanks for the replies, I deleted about 250 pictures so I am good to go for a bit and will have time to pick up a new SD and see what happens. I don't think i will have any issues based on the feedback, thanks again

BFD, I am pretty sure (I could be wrong) that the file numbers are determined by the camera used not the card. The card is just a storage device and stores the file number generated by the camera. Most cameras allow the user to determine if file numbers will be continuous or auto reset when new cards or different cards are used. So if you pull a card and install a new one if the camera is set for continuous file numbering the new cards first pic will be the next number after the old cards last pic. 

As a side note, I personally would not use SD cards as a long term file storage device if the card is my daily use card I use in my camera. I say this because of Murphy’s law ... you either pull and use a card reader or connect your camera by cable to your pc to work on photos and each time something can hiccup and poof there go all your stored files as well as the ones you just took.