Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobydoo

I don't consider myself lucky...but I sure do tonight

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Instead of going fishing at one of my "spots"  and declining a few invites to head out to the west branch.

 

I was luckily home when my water heater blew out!

 

Dodged that bullet for sure!!

 

I'm curious if it's a coincidence that it blew out the same week my pressure reduction valve at my meter started leaking?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not much of a plumber so I really can’t offer any insight as to why it happened but I can tell you just be grateful that good fortune was yours for the night. 30 years ago, my new Bride and I returned a couple of days early from our honeymoon. When we opened the door to our apartment, we were hit in the face with a blast of hot air similar to what you get when you open an oven. What happened is that, while we were on our honeymoon, there was a gas main leak in the neighborhood which caused Con Ed to shut off the gas. When they turned it back on they had to go around re-lighting all the pilot lights in everyone’s homes. Our landlord let the Con Ed guy in and when he re-lit our stoves pilot light, he turned it onto Broil and then left. That stove had been roaring for days but, fortunately, we returned a couple of days early. I think the plaster walls in that apartment radiated all that heat for a full day before we felt it cooling down. Glad you avoided problems. Don’t ask how or why, just be glad you did. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fishing pete said:

How old was the water heater?

I had one installed back in 05.....for a couple months now..in the back of my head I'd been thinking....I wonder what would happen if my tank goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, valentine said:

I’m not much of a plumber so I really can’t offer any insight as to why it happened but I can tell you just be grateful that good fortune was yours for the night. 30 years ago, my new Bride and I returned a couple of days early from our honeymoon. When we opened the door to our apartment, we were hit in the face with a blast of hot air similar to what you get when you open an oven. What happened is that, while we were on our honeymoon, there was a gas main leak in the neighborhood which caused Con Ed to shut off the gas. When they turned it back on they had to go around re-lighting all the pilot lights in everyone’s homes. Our landlord let the Con Ed guy in and when he re-lit our stoves pilot light, he turned it onto Broil and then left. That stove had been roaring for days but, fortunately, we returned a couple of days early. I think the plaster walls in that apartment radiated all that heat for a full day before we felt it cooling down. Glad you avoided problems. Don’t ask how or why, just be glad you did. Cheers!

Damn that's crazy.

and very fortunate.

I was so close to heading to PA for the week...and I guarantee had I gone even with my girlfriend home...it'd had been a mess.   It went when we had people over and they were just leaving.  I apologized later that night because they had no idea why i started swearing and disappeared....lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah 12-15 years is about it for them. Where was it? Can you put a pan and a drain under the new one? May as well put good braided supply lines on your washer too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fishing pete said:

Yeah 12-15 years is about it for them. Where was it? Can you put a pan and a drain under the new one? May as well put good braided supply lines on your washer too.

 

I had a washer hose blow while I was gone.

Came home, and the house felt humid like a hot tub room.

Of course it did, I had a foot or 15"of hot water sitting in the basement.

What a frickin mess.

Now, it is braided lines, and the water gets shut off at the incoming valve if we are gone over night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, seadogface said:

Serious question:

Do they make glass tank water heaters anymore? My parents had one. I wonder if it is still there.

 

They sure seem to last much longer than today's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dena said:

 

I had a washer hose blow while I was gone.

Came home, and the house felt humid like a hot tub room.

Of course it did, I had a foot or 15"of hot water sitting in the basement.

What a frickin mess.

Now, it is braided lines, and the water gets shut off at the incoming valve if we are gone over night.

I had that happe too. Water was deep. Not cool at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an indirect. Stainless tank should last a good long while. I know some of the really expensive tanks are cement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishing pete said:

Yeah 12-15 years is about it for them. Where was it? Can you put a pan and a drain under the new one? May as well put good braided supply lines on your washer too.

In the washroom second floor condo.  Pan and drain are there..but after running it a bit to get some cold water.....No clue why i have to shut off the hot and cold to avoid it from pissing water.  

But the water leaks out of the pan.....replacing that too.

My concern is if the water gets under the pan inbetween the floor and ceiling....

replaced the wash hoses a few years ago with braided when i replaced.

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.