FEW3

That moment when the say "read just one more chapter"

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

They were bonkers tonight and took every once of my depleted sanity to get them under the covers. 

I started reading Roald Dahls "Charlie and the chocolate factory."

I did my best to maintain the voices of each character. 

I finished chapter 5 and thought they were out. I closed the book and they both sat up. " one more chapter". 

Man, I was pissed. They should have been asleep two hours ago. 

Then it hit me. This wasn't sponge Bob, this wasn't some CGG movie, they wanted me to read still. 

I think they went to dreamland at chapter 10, but I went to 12 while in a 200 year old rocking chair.

The loved listening to the story. I think they are learning the importance of books.

Awesome. Enjoy it, my elder just went to college and I miss my fishing buddy. He has early classes, and he's jealous of friends who are out flyfishing every morning!  When he was small we would finish reading and then taper off with songs, so the "just one more" was a short song and the cycle got shorter. This helped: Rise Up Singing: The Group Singing Songbook 

"Puppies are like that" hundreds of times, I would switch or change words, never to get away with it.

Peace

Good on you Few, I try to read to both my little girls often and it is funny how if you skip or modify something they call you out immediately on it. As others have said enjoy your time and know that they won’t forget the time you give them 

All 3 of my sons were readers and I always felt that that was what enabled them to do well in school. My oldest son devoured every book he could get his hands on and as a teenager he made a connection with a well known publisher where they supplied him with books so he could evaluate them. He wasn't a paid reviewer but he got to read bestsellers before the public got their hands on them. My middle son actually taught himself to read when he was 4. He simply figured out that combinations of letters represent specific sounds.He's a marine engineer today and going to Law School. Our Youngest boy read grudgingly but he still did it and I'm sure that's why I never saw him doing homework in college but he still graduated with a 3.8 GPA. The Point I'm making is that I believe reading and writing ability are still the cornerstones to success in all walks of life. The problem is most people spend more time with their smart phones than with books. My wife and I were in a restaurant  recently and there was a teenage girl and her family at the next table. The girl was eating her meal and reading a book. Neither my wife or I could remember the last time we saw a young person simply sitting and enjoyng a book. We need more books and less electronic screens. Keep reading to your kids! Keep reading yourself.

14 minutes ago, valentine said:

All 3 of my sons were readers and I always felt that that was what enabled them to do well in school. My oldest son devoured every book he could get his hands on and as a teenager he made a connection with a well known publisher where they supplied him with books so he could evaluate them. He wasn't a paid reviewer but he got to read bestsellers before the public got their hands on them. My middle son actually taught himself to read when he was 4. He simply figured out that combinations of letters represent specific sounds.He's a marine engineer today and going to Law School. Our Youngest boy read grudgingly but he still did it and I'm sure that's why I never saw him doing homework in college but he still graduated with a 3.8 GPA. The Point I'm making is that I believe reading and writing ability are still the cornerstones to success in all walks of life. The problem is most people spend more time with their smart phones than with books. My wife and I were in a restaurant  recently and there was a teenage girl and her family at the next table. The girl was eating her meal and reading a book. Neither my wife or I could remember the last time we saw a young person simply sitting and enjoyng a book. We need more books and less electronic screens. Keep reading to your kids! Keep reading yourself.

I agree. I love reading. I could spend hours and hours just reading. I hope my son will feel the same. If all the electronics failed the printed word would be worth gold.

12 hours ago, Jdeadman66 said:

I agree. I love reading. I could spend hours and hours just reading. I hope my son will feel the same. If all the electronics failed the printed word would be worth gold.

The printing press may be man's most significant invention. 

My girls will rip every book in the house apart in seconds unless it's the super tough cardboard ones.

I think they like to get my attention by doing it cuz they laugh and run away with what's left of the book.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:13 PM, Slack Tidings said:

14F45976-5C71-4C24-8631-E56568A7769C.gif

F72422CF-5F83-44E5-A851-85C5F411AFCD.gif

Butterfly in the sky, I can fly twice as highhhh. Take a look, it's in a book, a reading rainbow. 

I can do anything