Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 10-06-2017

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

The wind finally switched to the East and that basically limits your fishing to the far west end of the Island. I did look at a couple of places that are resident parking only but the surf was crashing in the beach big time. The last place to fish when the wind is East is Blind Pass and I wanted to see what it looked like since I left in June. They did a major beach restoration and a lot of the sand has been moved around the Island. 

This morning was overcast and the surf was big rollers coming a the sand bar. The fishing session was lot of casting and not even a bump.

P1090002sol.JPG.43f29bcdfe90b0518af82710cdc8e8d8.JPG

The tide was incoming and when the water started to get high there were section of the beach when saturated were almost like quick sand. I had one time when it did get a little hairy.  I gave the morning two hours before I called it a wrap. It was very hot so I thought I would re lax and wait for the Red Sox to play game two.

At 3:30 I decided I would take a ride and hope that when I returned home there would be a big rally and win. 

The fishing was well worth the ride and I ended up with 7 Snook, this one was typical for the most part.

P1090009sol.JPG.1024bd30029c04a94270d8bc7e96a8ab.JPG

I did get one that was somewhat bigger and when I tried to get a picture my camera said my SD card was full. I don't think I ever filled an SD card before in my life. I kicked the fish loose and scrolled through and deleted some pictures in case something else came along.

I was really happy that I deleted some pictures, especially when this Bonus Red came along, It was not my biggest Red but it was a very pleasant surprise because Reds of the beach don't happen very often on Sanibel.

P1090013sol.JPG.150a69434a6ac530efbf9b00506fb3b4.JPG

I have no doubt that I could have caught a few more Snook but I lost my tippet and fly on the bridge column and with the no-seeums tearing me up I decided to pack it in rather than try to rebuild and add a new fly.

The fly that worked tonight was my favorite Snook fly, The Chernobyl Schminnow with lead eyes and hot orange head.

The Red Sox it appears in deep trouble.