Carl Blackledge

Anybody use "SHOOTING HEADS"

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I use mostly shooting heads. I don't need to carry spare spools and heads are very cheap when I make them using cheap WF and DT lines, clothes lines and electric cables and wires.

For shooting line I use Sawada Flat Beam Intermediate but I have read it is out of production. I hope it comes back because it works very well and is very durable and cost is reasonable.

Esa

Berkeley big game 40lb is great running line but it needs to be soaked to stay limp. I also make my own shooting heads with close out high line weight DT Iines (8-12) i purchase over 20 years ago but such lines are harder to find as they have been replaced by WF and integrated head running lines and specialty lines. My heads zing through the guides with loop to loop connection as described by Dan Blanton in "getting looped" but when head is cast from inside the rod guide area the overlapping gudebrod sleeve (50 lb braided mono) on the shooting head seems to fray badly after awhile and I don't understand why. Sometimes you want to bring the head inside the rod guides without overhang to get more presentation distance or when using sinking lines and flies in order to pull head from water easily.

8 hours ago, crunch said:

I use mostly shooting heads. I don't need to carry spare spools and heads are very cheap when I make them using cheap WF and DT lines, clothes lines and electric cables and wires.

For shooting line I use Sawada Flat Beam Intermediate but I have read it is out of production. I hope it comes back because it works very well and is very durable and cost is reasonable.

Esa

I started using Rio "slick shooter" in 50 pound test...WOW what a difference from anything else I ever used...you guys might want to give it a try, however remember the trick here is to buy 50# only...My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

I use berkeley big game 30lb test. It works fine. I do get tangles, but never really bad ones. Often they come out if you work pull from one end of the other, occasionally have to push a loop back through a knot. 

But like mentioned above, it needs to soak up some water to work really well. I don't find it gets particularly limp which might not be a terrible thing. 

Just have to make sure the line twist gets removed once in a while--that seems to be decisive factor in tangles.