Ob1

Noob here need some help South NJ Belford area

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Hey guys first time poster here just joined seems like some really awesome like minded people here !! 

I just wanted to post to get some input from you guys fishing out in south NJ. So I just moved over near the Belford area near the Ferry about 8 months ago and made the one of the best purchases of my life buying a Kayak, all summer I was going out killing fluke on glup right in the bay near the ferry and Navy yard.

Now that fluke season is over I have been debating on buying a dry suit and going out there but, I have no idea what is in the area now and what I can fish for or what bait or jigs I should be using , I have attempted to go out looking for other types of fish but have zero luck , except a few cocktail blues . I think that strippers will be around soon but not sure what I should be using fishing from a kayak . any input is mucho appreciated   

At this point in the season what besides winter flounder should I go for in the bay ?

I am not asking for specific spots but should I be fishing in shallow or deeper waters? 

What kind of bait should I be using  ?

Thanks again for your help 

On 10/6/2017 at 6:47 PM, Ob1 said:

At this point in the season what besides winter flounder should I go for in the bay ?

At this point there are no winter flounder in the bay and there is no use fishing for them in the bay until April, even then, the river would be a better bet.  There are Striper available now as well as Weakfish, both from your yak and the shore line. So both shallow and deep. If you have been fishing the Belford area you should be familiar with some fishy spots, east and west of there.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:10 AM, SIC34 said:

Here's your first input, Belford is not south NJ- report wise- you are in a very productive area. Keep fishing you'll find em.

Definitely not South Jersey!

It is a great area. Stay away from the navy pier and watch the conditions before heading out. If you have a bad day fishing check out the Belford Brewery, that can ease the pain.

Met OB1 today in the local bait and tackle. We went separate ways looking for fish. I didn't find any and the water temp is going up again. Unbelievable.

4 hours ago, Slayer said:

Met OB1 today in the local bait and tackle. We went separate ways looking for fish. I didn't find any and the water temp is going up again. Unbelievable.

Was wet wading the other day and was shocked how relatively warm the water was.

Anywhere in the back bay, you have a shot at fish, blues, bass, fluke, porgies and the like. 

Great meeting you Slayer !!! So what are the chances of meeting you randomly at the bait shop .. you are a  are a gentleman and and a scholar for sure thank you for all the useful info.  In other news went out on the Angler out of Atlantic Highlands today had a great time killing porgy and monster Blackfish . Thinking about going again this weekend.