Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltydawg

Hillbilly Elegy

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I recommend that all people who still believe Russia is the reason why Trump won read this book. The writing is okay, but it is an unabashed look at the psyche of those voters that put Trump in the WH (although that was not the purpose of the book).

We will have book club in two weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Wigeon said:

Lol.

I have heard about this book Salty, its on the list.

For those of you who grew up outside of the rust belt or Bible belt, it will explain a lot about the public psyche in the last few years 

Hillbilly Elegy and Deer Hunting With Jesus occupy the ends of my bookshelf. In some ways the authors' POV are very opposite, but they do have common elements. Both of them triggered conflicting feelings of sympathy and disdain, not sure which wins out with me...Definitely worth a read!

3 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Hillbilly Elegy and Deer Hunting With Jesus occupy the ends of my bookshelf. In some ways the authors' POV are very opposite, but they do have common elements. Both of them triggered conflicting feelings of sympathy and disdain, not sure which wins out with me...Definitely worth a read!

I'm a fan of Joe Bageant.

6 hours ago, saltydawg said:

I recommend that all people who still believe Russia is the reason why Trump won read this book. The writing is okay, but it is an unabashed look at the psyche of those voters that put Trump in the WH (although that was not the purpose of the book).

We will have book club in two weeks. 

Yeah my wife turned me into this book when it first came out 

she said these are my people 

lol 

4 hours ago, JohnP said:

Yeah my wife turned me into this book when it first came out 

she said these are my people 

lol 

They are "our" people, I guess...and it reminded me that we should not root for disaster for them regardless of our political leanings. I just cannot imagine considering other Americans rthe enemy

If I grew up in the Rust Belt, am I exempt from this assignment? Seems I should already know this stuff.

Any recommendations on how urban liberals think ?  They baffle me. 

Edited by Riverboat33