theycallmebmac

Seeking advice - new to saltwater fishing - Moved to Atlantic Highlands

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Pretty happy to have come across this community. I grew up on the western side of the state fishing freshwater, mostly trout, both on spinning rods and fly fishing. Just moved to Atlantic Highlands and trying to make the transition to saltwater. I don't have a boat so I am trying my hand from the fishing pier at Atlantic Highlands and the Jedi that the sea streak ferry ports at. No luck so far.

Have been using either a 5" chartreuse shad lure or a diamond jig with a green tail. I have heard some people say they put some bait on the hook for the diamond jig? 

Is fishing in Atlantic Highlands worth while at all during the upcoming fall striper run or I am better off surf fishing from the point of sandy hook or further inland near some of the bridges? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to set myself up for a lifetime of saltwater fishing!

If you do not want to publicly blow up any decent spots, I totally get it, just looking for some pointers! Thanks in advance!

Yes you should try the park and point of Sandy Hook. Also the small jetties and rock piles to the south. 

Shads have been productive along these spots, smallish metal lips and SP minmows, tins are worth a try. You'll need a pencil popper soon as well. 

You live in a good spot for salt water fishing! Have fun and consider stopping by the Clam Slam. 

Edited by Buckscorider

Thanks to you all for the replies! I am going to try my luck over the weekend and will report back.

I have read most people are fishing before dawn? Should I be paying attention to the tide charts?(fishing with tide is new to me) Is there a specific time/tide combination that I should be looking for?

As for the metal lips, SP minnows, and pencil poppers, I would imagine those are for when there is top water action and the stripers are going after schools of bait fish? 

@Fly By Nitedo you mean fishing on the bay side of Sandy Hook or do you mean further in than Sandy Hook in general?

Edited by theycallmebmac
typos

Welcome to the club, great info here.  Search all the posts I've listed and that's a lot of good info since I'm new to stripper fishing.  Stop by the harbor area and read the rules, as things are pretty specific.  Enjoy the kick ass area, I've gotta drive 4hrs to get there!  Take care, Jon

Don't bait the hook on a diamond jig. Whoever told you that knows less than you already know.

Shads are a great baits. They mimic the bait currently in the bay.

Get yourself a 5" bomber or 3. Yellow over white, (chickenscratch) black over catterpillar yellow (schoolbus) and another one of your choice.

Also pick up a hopkins no equal jig.

Those 3 things will get you on the right path.

Keep fishing and you will catch.

Keep catching and you will put together some patterns of your own.

Welcome to the madness.  

edit*** What sparky said^^ you can ignore my post haha

SP minnows, bucktails, tins. Whoever told you to put bait on a diamond jig is probably effing with you. We tend to use diamond jigs when sand eels are around or when the surf is practically unfishable. The bigger migratory fish are just getting started for the year. THings are going to pick up further east. I would focus on fishing anywhere in monmouth county.

Put in your time and use the search feature on here, for example, i love darters and im interested in learned about the different types so I type in darter in the search bar and Ill have weeks worth of reading to do.

New members owe us a joke. Thanks

Edited by DragonsLax48

3 minutes ago, jbg123 said:

So apparently the bible says that the man is supposed to make the coffee.... Hebrews

Let's hope the new guy can do better ..

bmac, welcome to the site, I'm still learning myself and have nothing to add.

Get a plug bag, boot foot waders, buy some plastic swimmers like bombers and yozuris (5-7 inches), a bag of shads with the weight already inside.  8 footer with braided line.  You'll always catch more fish inside Raritan and Sandy Hook bay.  Fish where the water is moving your lures from left to right or right to left. And fish often.  

@DragonsLax48 here ya go: 

I recently had a friend that decided to get a new tattoo. He already has several and they all have unique meaning, so I asked him what he was going to get this time. He told me that he was gonna get a one hundred dollar bill tattooed on his Johnson. I asked why in the hell he would ever want to do that.. He told me there were 3 reasons: 

"1. I like to play with my money and 2. I like to watch my money grow... and 3. if my woman wants to blow a hundred dollars, she ain't got to leave the house!!"

36 minutes ago, theycallmebmac said:

@DragonsLax48 here ya go: 

I recently had a friend that decided to get a new tattoo. He already has several and they all have unique meaning, so I asked him what he was going to get this time. He told me that he was gonna get a one hundred dollar bill tattooed on his Johnson. I asked why in the hell he would ever want to do that.. He told me there were 3 reasons: 

"1. I like to play with my money and 2. I like to watch my money grow... and 3. if my woman wants to blow a hundred dollars, she ain't got to leave the house!!"

welcome aboard, be prepared to fall down the rabbit hole! good info being shared on this thread and all around the forum.