Jay in the Bay

LL Bean Surf rods

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone know who makes this years surf rods for LL Bean?

I called the fishing department customer service line.  They knew, but would not tell me, due to "propriety" something or another.

Anyway, are they any good for the price and LL Bean warranty??   Thanks!

Don't know who makes them this year.  Last year they were Tsunami Trophy.

I bought the 10' in early 2016 for use as a backup.  Broke it at the butt a few months ago on the ditch (maybe because I used it as a walking stick in the rocks?).

Stopped in at their Wareham outlet store and got an immediate refund.

They still look like tsunamis to me. I always thought the tsunamis were decent budget rods. Buying one with an llbean logo for the same price + the lifetime warantee is a no brainer if they actually still are tsunamis.

I have this year's 8 ft which I use for fluking and back bay and really like it. It's a tsunami. Definitely worth the buy especially when they are 20% off. 

Edited by Ripnowell45
Misspell

Is the 7 ft "Kennebec" from 5 or so years ago a Tsunami too?  The absolute perfect rod for pitching poppers at bass and I've had a few break this year due to stupidity.  I can't bring myself to return a rod that I broke, as opposed to one that "exploded" a few years back when I hung bottom...

I have last year's model and compared it to this years. Lots of upgrades on the new model. I think they are both tsunamis. Warranty can not be beat!

Anyone know anything about their surf reels?

Just purchased the new Surf Series in a 10’ at the Freeport Flagship. The blank is really beautiful for a rod at the price point. I believe $109 for the 10’ and of course the warantee. 

Spoke with the manager of fishing at Freeport and he said this new series is the product of a 25 year rod building project. 

Highly reccomend. 

I spent countless seconds of my life trying to figure out what company makes it and still cannot find out. I compared it to a lot of other rods and cannot find any similarites

9 hours ago, gman71 said:

The new one is a daiwa sp rod. If tested at the ll bean store, it look and felt the same as the sp rod. 

Sure look identical to me.  Now if they'd only offer the 10' in the 2-6 oz range as well, I'd buy it.

6 hours ago, KinFisher said:

Just purchased the new Surf Series in a 10’ at the Freeport Flagship. The blank is really beautiful for a rod at the price point. I believe $109 for the 10’ and of course the warantee. 

Spoke with the manager of fishing at Freeport and he said this new series is the product of a 25 year rod building project. 

Highly reccomend. 

What is the action on this rod? Does it lean fast or moderate? Thx!

I was eyeballing them and they look like a Daiwa Coastal Pro rod I have.

And with the lowrider guides I use it with a 5000/6000 size bait casting reel.

A darned good rod.

That LL Bean will be good too if it's the same 

Edited by jimmy z