Drone and Helicopter collide

Rate this topic

TimS

It's only a matter of time (short time) until civilian drones expand in size.  There's no reason to expect them to stay small.  I've seen model airplanes with 7' wingspans, and the engines that power the big ones could certainly mess up an engine, or a windscreen.  

There are already large radio controlled planes and helicopters. I have a couple RC helicopters that I built from kits with bodies that are nearly 4' long and 6' rotor span. 

Theres no limit as to how high they can go or where they can fly.

Theyre quite fast and weigh nearly 10 pounds with batteries. They could take out a plane's engine under the right conditions.

Edited by Wayne Tj

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

I'd be interested to know at what elevation this collision took place.

Previously the drones I saw were mostly toys being sold at the mall, but Best Buy is now carrying some that range in the $1700 and up price tag. I'm guessing there are some more serious models out there costing much more.

Not sure how much control one can have if they lose line of sight on them, but not something I am versed on.

I assume this was a smaller civilian type drone, not a larger military craft. Those I could easily see doing some damage to a helicopter.

Edited by Surf Cat

"I was a waste of time dumbasses." --  sevenxseventy01

11 hours ago, Surf Cat said:

I'd be interested to know at what elevation this collision took place.

Previously the drones I saw were mostly toys being sold at the mall, but Best Buy is now carrying some that range in the $1700 and up price tag. I'm guessing there are some more serious models out there costing much more.

Not sure how much control one can have if they lose line of sight on them, but not something I am versed on.

I assume this was a smaller civilian type drone, not a larger military craft. Those I could easily see doing some damage to a helicopter.

The ones now have cameras, what they call first person view, that project back to an Ipad or laptop, and you fly by camera view enabling you to fly out of line of sight.

There is a video out there of a drone carrying a guy suspended from the drone in a hammock...just hanging out, so to speak, so they can carry a payload now.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard