HighEndHooker

Fish ID

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

The other day while casting out front I snagged a new species for me on a williamson jig...might be hard to describe from memory but it was about 7"-8" I think, mostly silver with big scales for it's size, and a black back and bill with a red nose on the bill. Searched all over but can't figure out what this was. It was in the middle of an all out cocktail bluefish blitz in NJ

Funny, I'm not trolling though. Wish I would have taken a picture but at the time I was pissed that I snagged a 7" fish so I just pulled it off. A guy next to me came over and said "there's something different, does it have a red nose? It would probably make good bait" And I just said yeah and tossed it back in

2 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

The other day while casting out front I snagged a new species for me on a williamson jig...might be hard to describe from memory but it was about 7"-8" I think, mostly silver with big scales for it's size, and a black back and bill with a red nose on the bill. 

rudolph-red-nosed-reindeer6.jpg

The fish is known to have reports of ciguatera poisoning to humans.  

Ciguatera is a foodborne illness caused by eating certain reef fish whose flesh is contaminated with a toxin made by dinoflagellates such as Gambierdiscus toxicus which live in tropical and subtropical waters. These dinoflagellates adhere to coral, algae and seaweed, where they are eaten by herbivorous fish which in turn are eaten by larger carnivorous fish like barracudas, and even omnivorous fish like basses and other fish like mullet. This is called biomagnification. Affected fish may show no sign of infection or, in more advanced cases, will be weakened and visibly thin, with yellowish eyes. As well, fish may be pale or a different color than usual.