RiverRaider

Pickin' Stuff

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

It's that time of the year already....

She's gonna make me go pick Apples or Pumpkins or some crap this weekend... I just know it

Am I alone in this or are others going to pretend they are migrant farm workers this weekend?

I love it. Love it! 

Fall is the time when most people go, but I've found late summer, i.e. August, is best. Around here, you get peaches, berries, and also early apples. 

Where  I live we have Mexicans that do his.

You're Portuguese, so you might have some Mexican ancestry.

Edited by Wayne Tj

4 minutes ago, HugeDinghy said:

I never understood the pick your own thing. They do it with strawberries around here all summer. I'm all set with act like a Mexican day. 

My wife and i got sucked into a cherry picking trip a few years ago.  The whole  time she complained about bugs.  And then when we went to pay for our cherries they cost exactly the same as they would have at the super.  **** that **** i say.

4 minutes ago, Fly By Nite said:

My wife and i got sucked into a cherry picking trip a few years ago.  The whole  time she complained about bugs.  And then when we went to pay for our cherries they cost exactly the same as they would have at the super.  **** that **** i say.

The guy who rang us up last time we went told us that he should charge more for the pick-your-own: that's to make up for the stuff that people eat before they pay. :D

I’m going with the wife and boy next Thursday. She grew up going with her mom and Dad every year. They’re both passed away, so it helps her feel connected to them and continue the tradition with her husband and kid. I like being outside in the fall so I’m happy to do it. 

I live 5min from the orchard. If I want anything they're picking, I just go for a quick pick. I remember when we used to do the whole "make a day of it" thing back up north. Fun for the kid when she was younger but glad those days are over.

1 hour ago, Reed422 said:

Macoun that is all

^^ Knows Stuff^^

My favorite apple......     Picked a half bushel a couple of weeks ago.

Can select the cream of the crop when you pick your own.  Can select the size you prefer.  Can avoid any bruised or insect damaged fruit and the fruit is absolutely as fresh as possible....

And it avoids the possibility of a not so conscientious picker's dirty hands touching your fruit!