Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Need an itunes whiz

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I use a lot of proprietary playback stuff for music other than Itunes, and I just found out I know very little about itunes, need some help.

This week, a guy gave me a file of music.  Its all mp3s.  1.5 Tb, its huge. 87k tunes.

So, I created an itunes library on the drive, and now I can point Itunes at this library (select library), and away it goes.

But here is what I want.  I want to pick a few select things out of that library and put them on my itunes library on my "walking around laptop".  How do I pick out one artist and move the files so that those odd itunes files move correctly?  Example, I just copied Tom Petty and moved it to "Itunes music" file on the laptop and Iit doesnt show up.   Its the xml files right, something.

What say you ?

Been looking through this file its a hoot.  I keep seeing artist after artist with what looks like every damn thing they did.

27 minutes ago, Little said:

800 Beach Boys titles.

Out of those, about 50 will be good. But those 50 will be very good! 

As a side note: didja read the feature on Mike Love in Rolling Stone? RS is a rag, a real piece of garbage, but this was good, if only because it proves, definitively and for all time, what a jerk off Love is. Google "Mike Love douhebag" and you'll find it. 

You can't just copy files to a directory that iTunes knows, you have to import it using the app. When you import, you have two choices (1) make another copy the file in your iTunes folder/directory or (2) leave it where it is and make a link to in in the iTunes folder/directory.

Edited by Wayne Tj

1 hour ago, Wayne Tj said:

You can't just copy files to a directory that iTunes knows, you have to import it using the app. When you import, you have two choices (1) make another copy the file in your iTunes folder/directory or (2) leave it where it is and make a link to in in the iTunes folder/directory.

So go to new library and export to a folder, then import using the old library?

Makes sense.

The problem I think I will never be able to beat-I have been all mac, home biz etc, for about 7 years now.  I still relate to all my computers as PC's.  I still dont really "speak mac".

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

Out of those, about 50 will be good. But those 50 will be very good! 

As a side note: didja read the feature on Mike Love in Rolling Stone? RS is a rag, a real piece of garbage, but this was good, if only because it proves, definitively and for all time, what a jerk off Love is. Google "Mike Love douhebag" and you'll find it. 

Seversal Beach Boys encounters over the years.  I know his deal.

The list of full libraries/repertoires  I have here is getting a bit staggering.

Dylan

Zep

Stones

Boss

Just saw Badfinger

ELP

Genesis

Neil Young

About 25 comics, Monty Python

and I have seen none of it yet.

1 hour ago, Wayne Tj said:

Ill find out later, but can I export/import an artist file en toto?

foobar2000 is easy to use

available for mac

and it's not made by apple.

unless you're uploading **** to a "cloud" or whatever and want the songs available on all your devices.

then stick with itunes.

18 minutes ago, Little said:

Seversal Beach Boys encounters over the years.  I know his deal.

The list of full libraries/repertoires  I have here is getting a bit staggering.

Zep

ELP

Genesis

Deleting these, in toto, is a good start. :th: