jjdbike

Flavorful Chili w/out heat?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I’m dealing w/ classic challange, I like bold flavor & heat, wife can’t handle any heat & likes mild.

I’m due to make a batch of chili. I’m looking for ideas, suggestions to make rich floavorful chili w/out being spicy hot.

I’m thinking tons of assorted varieties of peppers, lots of onion, perhaps a few other veggies, fresh herbs (not sure which to use). 

Also a varity of meats, e.g. beef chunks, sausage, perhaps some pork. Variety of beans to (for texture and color). Cooking looooow & sloooooooow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

JD

Use cubed meat, brown it really well.   Use big dried chilies as they tend to not be hot.  Get some fresh as well, poblano or mild Anaheim types. Char off the skin.  Roast to char the onions, tomatoes, garlic and other veg as well especially the ones you throw in the blender with the dried chilies to make the base sauce.  I don't use much other than cumin and oregano for herbs.  

Make the sauce, pour it into your hot pot so it spits and sizzles a minute before adding browned meat back in

Edited by JimW

I've been floating this idea in my head for a flavorful chili, but I too can't take the heat due to stomach issues:

How about an Asian-inspired chili??

Use regular ground beef as usual (maybe some ground pork for extra flavor).

Instead of tomato base, and southwestern spices, use Asian spices and flavorings, maybe like hoisin sauce??
Not sure what you could substitue beans with....

I just made this turkey chili recipe and it's fantastic and easy.  Quite mild to but you can customize it as you wish, and switch up the turkey for beef.

(Hope it's ok to post this link)

I used 1.33 lbs of meat, black beans instead of kidney.

Recipe calls for 2 cups water.  I used 1.5.  Comments at the site recommend 1 cup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/80969/simple-turkey-chili/?internalSource=amp&referringContentType=amp%20recipe&clickId=amp_directions

23 hours ago, JimW said:

Use cubed meat, brown it really well.   Use big dried chilies as they tend to not be hot.  Get some fresh as well, poblano or mild Anaheim types. Char off the skin.  Roast to char the onions, tomatoes, garlic and other veg as well especially the ones you throw in the blender with the dried chilies to make the base sauce.  I don't use much other than cumin and oregano for herbs.  

Make the sauce, pour it into your hot pot so it spits and sizzles a minute before adding browned meat back in

Thanks JimW

I like the idea of browning meat & charing veggies to add flavor. Thanks for the tip about the larger dried chillies tending to not be hot. I’ve noticed some pretty wide variation in heat even amoung the same variety (It may have to do w/ the conditions it was grown in).

It’s interesting that you mention veggies put in the blender to make the sause base. I’ve never done that, just chopped and simmered. Does blending together make a noticable differance?

20 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Use my recipe in the recipe section and just leave out the hot peppers. Without heat, cumin becomes of paramount importance.

Thanks Steve, this looks like a great recipe, though time consuming. I’ll dedicate a Sunday to this one!

7 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

Chili without heat is like walking out in the rain with just your socks on. Why bother :laugh:

Ha ha, I kind of agree. W/ fall striper season approaching, I want to keep my wife as happy as I can!

I can always add heat in my own bowl.

Thanks folks!

JD

50 minutes ago, Steve in Mass said:

Not time consuming at all, I can make a big batch in about an hour. (Not counting the down time while the cubed meat is marinating.)

Okay, obviously I over estimated the time. 

I see Steve uses 3 different trypes / cuts of beef.

Has anyone here ever used a variety of different kinds of meat, e.g. ground meatloaf mix (pork, beef & veal), lamb, pork or even sausage? I’m thinking of some type of churizzo or a somked sausage. May also add a tiny bit of smoke for added flavor.  Want to be sure it doens’t tase burnt though.

Thanks.

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks JimW

I like the idea of browning meat & charing veggies to add flavor. Thanks for the tip about the larger dried chillies tending to not be hot. I’ve noticed some pretty wide variation in heat even amoung the same variety (It may have to do w/ the conditions it was grown in).

It’s interesting that you mention veggies put in the blender to make the sause base. I’ve never done that, just chopped and simmered. Does blending together make a noticable differance?

Thanks Steve, this looks like a great recipe, though time consuming. I’ll dedicate a Sunday to this one!

Ha ha, I kind of agree. W/ fall striper season approaching, I want to keep my wife as happy as I can!

I can always add heat in my own bowl.

Thanks folks!

JD

I suggest using large dried chilies for a solid chili sauce for the base of you chili.  These need to be toasted, soaked and beaten to pulp in a blender.  The roasted veg round it out and knock down bitterness but you can just use something else like some of the soak water to make it a blendable consistency and chop veg combine in the pot

ancho, California and some other dried Anaheim are pretty mild but some can be hot but they are usually packaged and labeled as hot.

you can use powder but choices are limited, ancho powder is the only one I can get that's relatively mild.   Takes a lot of powder to replace half a dozen dried anchos 

Remove veins and seeds from dried chilies and maybe substitute sweet paprika for some to reduce heat. Any combination of pepper flavors should be better than one but I think predominately ancho will get the most chili flavor 

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Okay, obviously I over estimated the time. 

I see Steve uses 3 different trypes / cuts of beef.

Has anyone here ever used a variety of different kinds of meat, e.g. ground meatloaf mix (pork, beef & veal), lamb, pork or even sausage? I’m thinking of some type of churizzo or a somked sausage. May also add a tiny bit of smoke for added flavor.  Want to be sure it doens’t tase burnt though.

Thanks.

JD

Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, use the hot stuff, though the sage is good too.

Here's my recipe for Turkey Chili that I posted a couple of years back that's not really spicy at all.   I think I forgot an 8oz. cup of black coffee which I add the unsweeten Coco Powder to.   Anything you need to omit from the wife like the jar of Jalepenos Chili Peppers makes sense but for the love of the great almighty don't wipe out the Adobo Sauce.    LOL.                         Shore Lunch Homestyle Chili Soup Mix- I found this mix in stop and shop, then they dropped it so now I buy it from wally world in a six package ship to house for around $21 plus shipping. Maybe you can find it or know where it's sold by the package like I did at stop and shop. Here's how I make my chili lately,it's a soup mix but I just don't add all the water. I add more of my own spices and use it as a base, plus it has a thickening agent in it. I add worcestershire sauce, unsweetened chocolate powder, cumin, chilli powder, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ground black pepper, jarred jalepenos, couple cans of red kidney beans, 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, a can of chipolte peppers with adobo sauce (just a few peppers, but all the sauce), cilantro and sometimes a jar of salsa. I'm pretty heavy handed with my spice. I brown ground turkey 3 lbs and saute a couple yellow onions,2 red bell peppers. I like to freeze a few bags the next day when it's chilled in freezer bags. Here's the condiments that I typically add to my chili- Boarshead Fiery Gourmet Chipolte Mayo sold at S&S deli, and MRS. Renfro's green salsa topped with scallions. It's pretty killer chili just with the turkey, I bet it'd be kick ass with both you Venison swap out's. I have so many deer on my property, I might have to get a bow and try it out myself. Have fun with it. Fly post-25572-0-10102700-1449704658.jpgpost-25572-0-10102700-1449704658.jpg