Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zmkm

Factory loaded Northbar bottledarter

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Has anyone used factory loaded northbar bottle darter before? Heard there were small number of factory loaded NB on the market couple years ago, and they were all blurple color loaded with mineral oil at 3oz. I have one blurple NB bottledarter in hand, I can't remember who I bought it from but I bought it as used here. The other day when I was fishing it, I noticed it was obviously heavier than all other NB bottledarter and I can tell it seems loaded with some liquid inside. However, I just couldn't find any hole or marks showing it was loaded, really, no sign of any holes or marks. I was wondering if that's one of the factory loaded ones. But if the factory loaded ones were loaded with mineral oil, it should be floating, not sinking, right? The one I have sinks fast. Just want to ask if anyone has any experience of the factory loaded NB bottledarter. Is it floating or sinking? Thanks! 

I would say weigh it. If it's over 3oz it's probably not factory loaded. 

To me it sounds like there are 2 possibilities . Whoever you bought it from loaded it quite a bit (as all my loaded ones float), And he was really good at covering up the hole... or there is a leak. To figure that out weigh it then put it in some water for a while  or take a few casts and weigh it again

Edited by FinS 32

If it's a leaker there is an easy way to test it. Bring it inside and heat it up with a hair dryer, then move it around as you look for some drips. It doesn't take much heat to make the air inside expand and push out some water.

Thanks guys! I will weight it tonight and try to heat it up, I would vote for a leaker as well because I didn't recall I bought loaded ones before and I never noticed it's much heavier than other ones until I fished it couple weeks ago after a few casts, and it feels like at least 3.5oz and up, and sinks like a rock. but the swimming action was pretty good, have no idea. I could still fish it like that to see if I can catch any fish. but I just want to find out if the previous owner loaded it with something unusual like mercury or something. But believe me, there is no hole or anything on the body, and no sign of any covering, so if it was really loaded by someone, I just can't believe how he did it. However, there was a small marker dot close to the left eye which might be a sign of "loaded" from the previous owner. Anyway, thanks for all your input.  

Factory loading just means they loaded it and sell it at a higher cost.  They would have used a hot nail, 11 cc's of mineral oil, and a hot screw driver.  Some places sell redfins like this, same deal, but with real hooks installed as well.  There is no way to injection mold around the liquid, it has to be added after, which means someone has to make a hole and then fill it.  I suppose that this can be done prior to painting, but there would still be a tell somewhere.

I was never impressed witht the castability of the stock plug. For me at least adding a little shot made a difference. I found 2.8 oz without hooks was ideal. Still floats too. 

2 hours ago, redfin said:

I was never impressed witht the castability of the stock plug. For me at least adding a little shot made a difference. I found 2.8 oz without hooks was ideal. Still floats too. 

agree alil lead in the ass makes it really cast great.. Idk how heavy mine is never put on scale but there quiet a lot of lead in there and still floats and fishes nice as ever...

I too experienced this! And with the same blurple! Turns out that it was leaking from the tail hook section. I hung it tail down and sure enough water was leaking from the hook hanger. I used a hot nail and made a hole in the top of the plug and drained the SALT WATER out. That confirmed for me that it was indeed leaking, as I highly doubt they would use salt water to load the plug. I filled the hole with epoxy and covered the tail hook hanger and rear of the plug with epoxy as well. It's been fine ever since.

In terms of casting, the previous comments are true. It didn't cast as well as I expected for a plug of that weight and shape. I bumped up the hooks to 4/0's and it casts much better without having to load it.

There were factory loaded bottledarters. It was only a small batch and they all weighed 3 ounces and were blurple.  I know he gave quite a few away to friends. He did tell me he wasn't crazy about the action and wasn't going to make any more of them. But hey , you never know.