bobber

'splain something to me....

Rate this topic

221 posts in this topic

I know I've pissed most of you off recently, and I'm kinda sorry I did...... (and I mean this in all seriousness) I guess I'm still not clear exactly what is it about guns that you guys are so passionate about?

I really like fishing-  my friends and family would say I'm obsessed.  but I don't love my gear.   a few years ago they outlawed herring for live bait-  and I was a little pissed, but have found alternatives.

so what is all the gun -love about??

What alternative do you have for shooting a Deer 100 yards or more away?  If you love to shoot guns, what alternative do you have if they take them? You Herring comparison is not really the same, you can still fish. They didn't take your gear away.

That's the difference I see. 

55 minutes ago, bobber said:

I know I've pissed most of you off recently, and I'm kinda sorry I did...... (and I mean this in all seriousness) I guess I'm still not clear exactly what is it about guns that you guys are so passionate about?

I really like fishing-  my friends and family would say I'm obsessed.  but I don't love my gear.   a few years ago they outlawed herring for live bait-  and I was a little pissed, but have found alternatives.

so what is all the gun -love about??

In my opinion, your focus on gun-love is just you and hillary type supporters. 

The footing that made religion work, set governments to kill prophets, was the concept that we all have a common creator and are basically equal. 

This concept was built into the constitution as certain rights that are not granted by any government. And people live that way, with a balance of govt and neighbor. 

I pray the reason they are needed is never realized during my lifetime and that I never have reason to point and say "this is why". 

Reasons I can say for myself:

1) Protection, security, defense (you figure out from whom or against whom)

2) Ideological - Possession of firearms are part of our natural rights to self defense. Some say our God-given right. And it is a right delivered to us via our uniquely American Constitution. People complain that the USA should be more like Europe whose countries don't need a 2A they argue. But in a world where there are those who wish to be dependent on their own provision of well-being and those who would be willingly dependent on the government, the 2A is a differentiator. ALL European countries have a history of being ruled by tyrants, invaders or kings, not the United State of America once the yoke of British rule was thrown off. History's holocausts and pogroms have been meted out to unarmed people. I covet my independence, or what measure one can have in modern society, and an armed citizenry protects that status. Not sure this is a Right-vs-Left thing, but it is an ideological one. 

3) Skill, accomplishment - Humans take personal pride in being able to develop skills in their pursuits, whether for personal satisfaction or competitively. Shooting for me is a hobby going back to when I was 7 years old and Santa brought me my spring-fired plastic bullet guns (with Caps). Then BB guns (spring), then pellet (pneumatic, CO2) and my first bolt 22 when I was 12 and a Remington Nylon 66 when I was 14. I started shooting competively in junior high school (used Anschutz) and kept that up through college. Today I shoot far less frequently at paper and steel and purely for my own satisfaction. But there is still great pleasure in pinging steel or hitting the black at distance short and long. 

4) Gear fan-boy gene - Like any pursuit that involves hardware, there is the gear aspect of it. Researching, deciding, buying, improving, tinkering, selling, start process again. Same thing can happen with cars, boats, bicycles, high fidelity audio, stamps, art, etc. If you don't "get" that, you don't have the gear-guy gene. 

Not present in the above list is hunting because I don't hunt regularly enough for me to list it. Possibly one a year I will go afield to hogs or birds but that is about eat. Hunting large fur-bearing quarry for meat is not a reason I possess guns. 

31 minutes ago, J said:

I pray the reason they are needed is never realized during my lifetime and that I never have reason to point and say "this is why". 

^^^^ This fits into a couple of my reasons above, a prayer most who possess guns say as well. 

You love to fish?  Me too.  But here's the thing.  You dont need to fish, because the government will fish for you.  There will be agencies set up at the lcoal, county, state, and federal level.  They'll fish for you.

If you want to fish a little, you can do so on your own prperty with a hand line only, 4lb mono, one  #8 barbless hook per year.  You can use  a cane pole if you qualify for the special permits (which you wont).   

(the others above pretty much covered it already.)

I love fishing and LOVE my gear.  I get off on a great blank or a MagSealed reel.  Love me a nice looking plug and when I tie a perfect knot, I turn to my wife, show it to her and say, "aint that sexy?".

I am not like that with guns.  For me it is about personal protection.  You may or may not recall someone tried to kick my door down a couple years ago.  When that safe popped open the feeling I felt had nothing to do with 'gun-love'.  It was all about family love and I pray you never have to experience that feeling.  Its my right to protect myself and just because some people are uneducated and not thought out does not mean I have to listen to them.

I go to the range to keep on top of form, but it feels almost like exercising.  And I REALLY hate when people who never had to defend their home and family call me a gun nut and I suffer from gun-love.  Its an insult and you are insinuating I actually love killing and love watching people get killed.  And that is sick.

I have a pistol at home for protection and hope I will never need it.  I have shotguns because I got into the hobby of skeet shooting and sporting clays and really enjoy those pursuits.

As most here know, I am retired military and used weapons in war to include the Ma Deuce, M-60, M-14. 1911 .45. etc.  After I retired I never touched any firearm for 20+ years until introduced to trap and skeet.  Very enjoyable pursuit for me.

Since I was young, I always enjoyed being in the woods more than I enjoyed being around people, home was not a happy place that inspired warm fuzzy feelings.  In high school, I worked nights scrubbing floors and washing windows, for a dollar an hour, to buy a gun, Remington 572 .22 pump.  The first Christmas gift I got from a girl was a subscription to Outdoor Life.  Guns and hunting have always been in my life, except when I went in the Navy I volunteered to be a Corpsman, never wanted to shoot another person.  

"Happiness is a warm gun"......the Beatles were right

7 minutes ago, Riverboat33 said:

Since I was young, I always enjoyed being in the woods more than I enjoyed being around people, home was not a happy place that inspired warm fuzzy feelings.  In high school, I worked nights scrubbing floors and washing windows, for a dollar an hour, to buy a gun, Remington 572 .22 pump.  The first Christmas gift I got from a girl was a subscription to Outdoor Life.  Guns and hunting have always been in my life, except when I went in the Navy I volunteered to be a Corpsman, never wanted to shoot another person.  

"Happiness is a warm gun"......the Beatles were right

By most accounts, the Beatles song started from JOHN Lennon seeing an NRA ad, but his meaning was sexual. Happiness is just shooting your load. 

Guns equal freedom. Period. 

It's not just about America. It's about being a self reliant, free thinking, free human in this world. While we may comply with laws, we also refuse to give up that which helps keep us free, put food on the table, defend our families and ourselves. 

To willingly CHOOSE to live life defenseless is insane. Nobody is responsible for you, except you. 

And....North Koreans.