i07nyc

Happy holiday

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I think the time has come for Americans to take a hard look at the holidays we celebrate and truly assess their impact on society. I've looked at some of the holidays and have found major flaws with them that I think we should look at and possibly change how we celebrate.

Presidents day- gw owned slaves and there are some other unsavory characters who have held office. Its gotta go

Easter-we can't hold Jews responsible for human sacrifice that led to a new religion. Buh-bye

Memorial day- draft dodgers take offense that others died to protect them. Sionara.

Independence day- we celebrate beating one of our closest allies in a war 250 years ago. We should not force them to see us gloat every year. God save the queen but not this day.

Labor day- there are many people in this country who despise unions yet we continue celebrate people who created the 40 hour work week with paid holidays. Back to work slaves!

Columbus day- it'll be gone soon. I'm working on teaching my kids that we got here via a tear in the time space continuum.

Thanksgiving- for what. Spreading disease and killing the natives. Thanks for nothing. 

Christmas- so much wrong I'm not gonna touch that one

New years- if I'm living in the moment, and for the now why do I care if the calendar flips.

I say we get rid of all of them and replace them with one day. Work only if you want to unless your boss threatens to fire you day.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I never could understand the idea of "National Holidays"; with the exception of July 4. The rest is between you & your employer.

So, you don't take them?? :-)

Just now, Knight771 said:

So, you don't take them?? :-)

Of course I do. I don't live for my job. I'm an employee not an owner. I work plenty of "uncompensated" OT.  Fortunately, my employer understands the need for "a life"

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

I never could understand the idea of "National Holidays"; with the exception of July 4. The rest is between you & your employer.

You think the point of Memorial Day or Veterans' Day is to give you a day off? That's effed up.

Just now, charloots said:

You think the point of Memorial Day or Veterans' Day is to give you a day off? That's effed up.

I've dealt with unions. I know what the deal is... & it aint patriotism.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I've dealt with unions. I know what the deal is... & it aint patriotism.

Perhaps you are suggesting that unions have perverted the original intent of those holidays.

I would agree.

But charloots good point is not refuted by saying "unions"

Just now, hamlet said:

Perhaps you are suggesting that unions have perverted the original intent of those holidays.

I would agree.

But charloots good point is not refuted by saying "unions"

Just an example. Virtually every "holiday" has lost it's significance except July 4.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Just an example. Virtually every "holiday" has lost it's significance except July 4.

Memorial day is VERY significant to me personally.  There is too much truth to the fact that "Holidays" are overly commercialized and a vast majority who benefit from paid time off for these Holidays do not have a personal stake or deep held feelings about them. 

In another thread, someone mentioned Japan and their very low crime rate, especially WRT guns.   But Japan is a very homogenous society.  I feel that if the U.S.A. were more homogenous, things would be very different, especially WRT holidays and celebrations.  Then again, if that were the case, it Wouldn't Be the Good Ol U.S.A.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

When I was very young, an older relative told me July 4th 1776 (Independence Day) should be a day of National Mourning because the "idea" was lost after inception.   I understand better what he felt that I couldn't understand at the time. 

1 hour ago, KnewBee said:

When I was very young, an older relative told me July 4th 1776 (Independence Day) should be a day of National Mourning because the "idea" was lost after inception.   I understand better what he felt that I couldn't understand at the time. 

Want to gain an even fuller appreciation for what the old gent was feeling?

Get up early on the Fourth, around first light when it's still quiet all around. Sit down with a cup of coffee and read your copy of the Declaration of Independence. Pay special attention to the list of grievances, mull each one over for a minute and see if you can find even one that can't be applied to today.

And when you're finished reading the whole thing don't be surprised if you also gain an appreciation for the grim solemness of of that moment.

I always ask myself if I would have had nearly the amount of magnificent audacity needed to sign it.

3 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Want to gain an even fuller appreciation for what the old gent was feeling?

Get up early on the Fourth, around first light when it's still quiet all around. Sit down with a cup of coffee and read your copy of the Declaration of Independence. Pay special attention to the list of grievances, mull each one over for a minute and see if you can find even one that can't be applied to today.

And when you're finished reading the whole thing don't be surprised if you also gain an appreciation for the grim solemness of of that moment.

I always ask myself if I would have had nearly the amount of magnificent audacity needed to sign it.

I have done this (but with Bailey's) more often than I can remember, especially while deployed to the sand box (Sans Bailey's and instant coffee sucks).    Not sure if I would have had a dog in the hunt when it came to signing, most likely, I would have been in debtors prison or an indentured servant!  But, if a land owner, could only guess at how I would have felt at the time.

Edited by KnewBee