FunkyColdMedina

How late is too late for Stripers?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Noob here and want to extend the fishing season.  How late in the year are Stripers around the South Shore of Mass (Quincy/Weymouth)? Thought I saw October but unsure. 

After the stripers are gone, what other species are good to target and what rig? Live bait or artificials?

42 minutes ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I've caught schoolies in the Canal in December.

First week of December for me.  32" but it wasn't a keeper because it was the mid 90's 

7 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I've caught schoolies in the Canal in December.

2 years ago guy were catching keepers in December from the ditch... we saw guys catching mackerel on Christmas Day down at the basin

On 10/6/2017 at 2:43 PM, TBYRD said:

Do the peanuts and other small bait migrate to the South?

Many do migrate though juvenile River Herring  hang out in ponds & lakes year round till it’s time to head out.

Lots of schoolies and some larger bass hang out in small and large rivers all winter long.

Edited by Skitter

On 10/6/2017 at 3:42 PM, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

2 years ago guy were catching keepers in December from the ditch... we saw guys catching mackerel on Christmas Day down at the basin

Christmas day 2 years ago wasn't that day 60 degrees on the cape, was a great winter day if I remember correctly haha

Trying to figure out where to go after work today for low tide. I work in Canton, so usually the Quincy area is the easiest for me to get to. My usual spot at Nut Island hasnt been producing lately. Can anyone point me to wheres been hot?

5 hours ago, saltyb92 said:

Trying to figure out where to go after work today for low tide. I work in Canton, so usually the Quincy area is the easiest for me to get to. My usual spot at Nut Island hasnt been producing lately. Can anyone point me to wheres been hot?

I fished Marshfield and Duxbury and the canal over the weekend and never broke 25"

As the weeks go by, the number of fish that can be caught that are still actively migrating south tends to decrease. At some point the last migrating bass swim away and any remaining small populations eventually make their move toward nearby winter-over habitats. So question starts to become more about when can the last migrating bass be caught? Vs. Catching the remaining scraps which are holdovers. It's a blurry line.

For those interested in trying for holdovers this winter, December is much much easier month to find and catch bass than trying to root fish out in January or February. It becomes a real skunkfest slog in most spots after New Years

Edited by rst3

6 hours ago, boulderdash said:

I fished Marshfield and Duxbury and the canal over the weekend and never broke 25"

Last two mornings in the same general area I got one 33" and gazillion, jillion schoolies. It becomes a matter of how long do you want to spend sifting through shorts for a decent fish? I generally lose my patience around mid Nov.

-bd