ottz700

Airwave elite rods

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Just now, ottz700 said:

Hello SOL I'm thinking of purchasing an airwave and would like to know what you think of them. Any input would be great. Thanks

I have three! Good durable rod for the money 

21 minutes ago, xjclint said:

Great rod but terrible flex coat finish. Will crack within a few outings. Really just cosmetic though.

+1

Have to say that I've used my 10' XH a LOT, and (other than the cosmetics) never a problem.

27 minutes ago, Southcoastphil said:

To me, the XH is a perfect rod for jigging and eeling.  Way too stiff and fast for plugging, IMO.  YMMV.

Hi Phil,

What size reel would you suggest for that rod? I ask because looking at a Slammer 3 6500. 

Hi Plum (island?).

This season, I've paired it with a 6000 Stradic FJ (worked great!) until last month because I'd recently bought a BG 5000 and wanted to see how that pairing worked.  It was also great!

If it would help you, I can weigh both reels with line.  I think that they're pretty close in weight, perhaps some 22 oz?

41 minutes ago, Southcoastphil said:

Hi Plum (island?).

This season, I've paired it with a 6000 Stradic FJ (worked great!) until last month because I'd recently bought a BG 5000 and wanted to see how that pairing worked.  It was also great!

If it would help you, I can weigh both reels with line.  I think that they're pretty close in weight, perhaps some 22 oz?

Thanks, Phil. Yup, Plum Island up in Newburyport!

I have my BG5000 on a 10'6" TFO and love it.

Just acquired a Slammer 3 and want to pair with a jigging rod, so was wondering  what a good pair would be. 

No need to weiigh or anything, but appreciate the offer. 

Have a great night!

11 hours ago, ottz700 said:

Hello SOL I'm thinking of purchasing an airwave and would like to know what you think of them. Any input would be great. Thanks

How are going to use one primarily? If for plugging from the beach with 2 to 3 ounce lures ... go for the 11 footer 2M. If you want an all around rod for buck tails & 1.5 ounce plugs ... go for the 9.5 footer 2M. They have a pretty good line up of rods ... the cosmetic epoxy issue is really minor IMO. Good luck in your quest.

The original Air Wave and the Airwave Elite are excellent rods at a reasonable price point.  Their lure weights on the rods I used were maybe overstated on the high end by at least 1 1/2 ounces.  I found the Original Air Wave in a 50/50 split more user friendly for transport but the Elite in the 70/30 not so much.  Depends on your mode of transportation.

Elite definite step up from the original.