tjob1818

Penn Conflict 4000 Seizing

3 posts in this topic

I've been using a Penn Conflict for the past month on the North Fork of Long Island. I decided to pair the 4000 with an 8" St. Croix Mojo Surf Medium Mod-Fast 8-17 lb 3/4-3 oz. I loaded it with 20 lb Power Pro. Last night I felt the reel wasn't as smooth and felt some resistance in the retrieve. (Im throwing a 6" SP Minnow) I called it a night (skunked) and hoped it was my imagination. Tonight, the fish were active and slamming a Talking Popper right away. After my second 3-4 lb bluefish the Conflict started to seize. Incredible resistance on the crank turn to the point I had to call it a night after an hour and right after sundown. Ive taken the spool off (and this is all I plan on doing) and Ive got a squeaking, dry turn almost like there is no lubricant on the inner workings whatsoever. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice? Will be heading back to Wego B&T in Southold when they open to make a decision. I plan on hitting Orient Point. Do I have to go with a Torque to avoid all problems and fish with confidence? Or should I go with a Slammer? Are Bluefish bending these reels?? I had the same problem with a Fierce 5000 to the point of total seizure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Tjob,

With any non-sealed reel if the reel has a chance to get dunked, splashed, sprayed, you will need to take extra care of the inside of the reel.  Adding extra grease inside the gear box, on the spool shaft and on/around the ball bearings will allow the reel to not have to be serviced after every trip.  Fishing a Slammer III will allow you to take the occasional dunk/splash and not have to immediately open the reel due to it being IPX6 sealed.  The Conflict was designed as an inshore reel and with the large cut-outs in the spool it allows salt water to flow in and down the pinion very easy. 

tony  

Thanks for the response. It sounds like the Conflict was made for the freshwater. I went to a Spinfisher 4500. Not as nice as the Conflict but I was told its a workhorse.