Marcel_Karssies

Naples report Oct. 5th. 2017

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

On this dull and rainy day I was hesitant to go fishing as rains where predicted with the chance of thunderstorms.

At breakfast I checked the weather forecast and noticed a small craft advisory was instated from Chocoloskee to Bonita Beach.
As I was beyond any help what fishing matters concerned I decided to head out to the northern section of the beach so I could quickly take shelter should the weather get worse.

While entering the beach I noticed the large waves crashing on the beach accompanied by a strong breeze. The water had a deep green color at the incoming tide and no way in the world would I be able to see any roaming snook in the surf.
My plan was to check out the jetty of the inlet and from afar I could see that nobody else was around at the prime point location.
Luck would have it that one of the beach walkers told me a lot of fish where active at the rocks.

At the rocks I noticed a large mass of small baitfish and from time to time showering mullet.
I could not see what was making the mullet go airborne but there where no dolphins around.
On my first few casts I had instant hits and managed two Spanish mackerel and one rather large leatherjacket.
Meanwhile the mullet kept jumping all over the place.
My luck was soon over as for some reason I could not get any hits on the fly anymore.
I was now not alone anymore as a jig fisherman tossed a diamond jig out from the jetty and now
and then he would catch smaller silver fish.

I stuck around until the tides changed as just as the jig fisherman left I caught a snook on a clouser minnow. At the neap tide the snook kept coming including a big one that pulled like a freight train.
Despite all the efforts of the snook the rather light 20 lbs leader held up and I could land my personal best snook for this vacation.
The jig fisherman was replaced by a live baiter who did pretty well free-lining a minnow around the rocks. We both witnessed the passing by of a school of tarpon.

The tarpon did not eat but it was a magical sight to see those fish surfacing, even on such a dull day they appeared bright silver.
When a school of jack crevalle passed I was able to intercept them twice and each time I had a smaller jack on fearing that the passing dolphins would go for the grab.

Action tapered down at the outgoing and I took a break and watched the thick clouds rolling in from the interior.
On my way out to the beach I noticed that the bait had accumulated at the beach side jetty and tossed a small clouser around resulting in ladyfish, bluerunners, jacks and a puppy red drum.
On the way to Lowdermilk park I fished one of the jetties and immediately ran into small jacks and ladyfish. I stayed a bit too long as by the time I arrived at the park the concession stand was already closing … lunch cancelled.
It began to rain and it did not stop so I was completely soaked when I arrived at the hotel but since
I was wading anyway it meant no difference to me.
So Florida was not the sunshine state today but the fishing was pretty good, glad I went out.

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

I was just lucky being at the right spot on the right time. The snook bites came in short succession at neap tide.

Just hope I get into a big jack, redfish or dare I say any size tarpon during my stay. On the species list I am still missing seatrout and bluefish.