Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striper Silly

Yozuri Mag Darter hook replacement

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have the mag darters and use them quite often with good results. I'm looking to upgrade the hooks and split rings. I have upgraded the hooks on my sp minnows with vmc 1/0, short shank, trebles in perma steel, use the spro 90 lb split rings and I am curious if that should be the upgrade on the smaller (5") mag darters. Your replies will be appreciated. 

I use 1/0 mustad 9430 (closer to a 2/0 size) or vmc 6x. (The 4x works fine too) , and rasco 4.5h rings.  These are also a pretty niche plug for me, this may not be the same for everyone 

Edited by FinS 32

On the 5 inch mag I like 2/0 4x vmc hooks. I keep a few with 1/0 4x vmc for the bay. I prefer the action with the smaller hook in quiet water. Out front or in moderate surf I use the larger hooks. That plug has gotten swallowed by some very impressive fish over the years. I have a lot of faith in the 2/0 4x. the size and strength of that hook is excellent.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

On the 5 inch mag I like 2/0 4x vmc hooks. I keep a few with 1/0 4x vmc for the bay. I prefer the action with the smaller hook in quiet water. Out front or in moderate surf I use the larger hooks. That plug has gotten swallowed by some very impressive fish over the years. I have a lot of faith in the 2/0 4x. the size and strength of that hook is excellent.

Do the 2/0s alter the action? That's a pretty big hook for a little plug

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Do the 2/0s alter the action? That's a pretty big hook for a little plug

Stock is a 3/0 standard strength probably 3x. I'd say the 2/0 vmc 4x makes them swim about the same but it's a way tougher hook. I do find the 1/0 4x to allow for a little more wiggle and slower retrieves in quiet water. We are talking about the 1 oz 5 " version not the smaller version. Most of my MD's are older so I'm not 100% sure the new ones are sporting 3/0 as a stock hook anymore.

17 minutes ago, redfin said:

Stock is a 3/0 standard strength probably 3x. I'd say the 2/0 vmc 4x makes them swim about the same but it's a way tougher hook. I do find the 1/0 4x to allow for a little more wiggle and slower retrieves in quiet water. We are talking about the 1 oz 5 " version not the smaller version. Most of my MD's are older so I'm not 100% sure the new ones are sporting 3/0 as a stock hook anymore.

Got it. I'll give it a try. Thanks