Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 10-05-2017

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Today I too a ride through Ding Darling to see if the Tarpon might be up wit the overcast skies and to also see how things looked since Irma. The road and the debris has all been cleared and I did not see any Tarpon. That did not disturb me as much as how things looked in general. The park has a new Manager who does nothing to maintain the park. all the areas that were trimmed along the road to allow fishing and for birders to take pictures are now overgrown with Mangroves that are getting very tall and will soon obscure most of the water all wildlife drive. I know a number of people have tried to work with this individual but little to no progress has been made. The condition of the park and the height of the growth along the road as nothing to do with Irma.

I have very little hope that things will improve as long as this manager is in charge.

After I left Ding I went back to the same area I fished yesterday since the wind was still coming more from the NE. The short story is I did get 2 small Jacks and the sad story is I had 8 hookups on Snook today and dropped everyone. Feeling Snake Bit for sure.

I don't think this guy cares about people who want to fish. The Sanibel Flyfishers have had  meetings with this guy and has only received lip service.  One of the members who is now retired and was the Chief Marine Biologist  for the State of Michigan has tried numerous times and offered volunteer help and has been rejected. 

I always looked forward to fishing in there, can't say I have the same enthusiasm now.

That's a pity.  Has the budget been cut back?  The kind of trim work you describe needs a certain amount of manpower. 

Edited by BrianBM

Brian I wish I knew, there have been offers on many occasions of volunteers willing to in and doing the work and in each case it has been rebuffed. The interesting thing about Ding Darling is many of the people that you see there are doing it on a volunteer basis.  

Thanks for the Sanibel pics and reports BFD. Darn shame about DD.

Its been years, but at one time we used to scoop very large crabs in there.

I think a change in salinity might be a factor. Trout were almost a gimme

thru there at one time also. Thanks again.

I have not really caught a lot of Trout in Ding.  I don't really fish a lot for them now since I never did well. They are in the process of rebuilding the water stops and right now they are doing #6 which is my favorite to find the bigger Tarpon in the morning. 

after a few months of meetings & getting the run around by our local parks commissioner board we got nowhere , they were not understanding that we only wanted to fish & enjoy the taxpayers land that was provided for us by some very wealthy & generous people many decades ago . sometimes you have to take things into your own hands because people get power hungry divert taxpayer $$$ elsewhere . 

Lowes sells a real nice battery powered chain saw made for smaller trees & brush very quiet & compact  Kobalt is the name brand . It made enough clear area for us to enter ...do it on a holiday when most security are off that day.  

Hook not an option for so many reasons. The biggest being they can post the area to limit you access to the road only and if you walk in past that area they can fine you. They hold all the cards, all you can do is try to work with them.