drmevo

Any left in the Piscataqua?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm new to striper fishing this year.  I went mid-summer a few times out on a boat in the Piscataqua with friends but we didn't have any luck other than some mackerel. I only started going by myself on the shores of the river within the past three weeks or so (better late than never I guess).  I caught my first striper my first time out near the General Sullivan bridge, so needless to say I've been a bit obsessed since then. I've only caught schoolies, mostly around 18-22" with the largest being 26" so far. Early on I was having luck with a lure similar to an SP minnow around dusk but lately I've been buying frozen mackerel and chunking. The last week has been really hit-or-miss (mostly miss). I had a good day Sunday evening with 6 fish over about an hour and half, but nothing Monday or last night. I tried further down in Portsmouth around the parks but no luck there either.  

Have they likely left the river for the most part? Do I need to be hitting beaches/rocky coast for a better chance of success? Maybe moving around a lot more rather than staying in one place? Thanks for any and all advice!

Saw some up in Great Bay a week ago, but we're approaching crunch time. From here on out I just drive 1A and don't fish unless I see fish, birds or jumping bait. I figure they probably have no reason to just hang out at the beach this time of year...

Thanks for the info. I might try to go out for the last couple hours of outgoing shortly. 

On another note, I ran into my neighbor this morning. We live within walking distance to the Salmon Falls dam. We’ve both fished above the dam for LMB all summer but today he told me he caught striper below the dam at high tide just last week! Does that make any sense? I thought they were long gone from coming up that far. Part of me wondered if he was pulling my leg...

Saw a lot of action out in the middle of the river this morning but nothing came in close enough. Another guy did pull in a 25” when I got there but that was all I saw caught out of four people. They are definitely around though. 

Tried for a bit Sunday morning from the end of low outgoing to the start of incoming but only caught a micro. I'm guessing the wind was the major factor. Hoping this doesn't signal the end... 

3 hours ago, dheeter said:

20 fish from the Kayak on the fly rod in the Piscat this morning.  Fair amount of surface activity.  Biggest 18"

If you don't mind me asking, were you around the upper or lower area of the river?

4 hours ago, dheeter said:

Lower

Thanks! Hoping to get out somewhere in that area this afternoon.

Edited by drmevo