Eel on a bucktail?

Rate this topic

Big Will

I was reading something about the guy who caught the world record striped bass and another one over 70 pounds in 2013. He said he was using a custom bucktail with a stinger hook and a small live eel. I’ve never thought of doing this before but it seems like a pretty good idea. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be much different than using a rigged eel but has anyone tried this? I use bucktails for everything and his setup is very similar to the one I use for big fluke with a spro bucktail a stinger hook and a large strip of squid or fish. I’ve caught a lot of large fluke up to 9 pounds with this setup, big bluefish, and even bigger albies seem to like it. 

Edited by Big Will

This is a pic of the custom bucktail he used. I don’t have a pic of my version but I got the idea a long time ago after seeing someone use a similar setup. Mine was a Spro similar to this with an owner stinger hook attached to the first hook rather than being separate. He also has a rattle in it? I’m guessing he adds it before pouring the lead. 

72D5F4AC-8E4D-488A-A4CB-CDDB1F622C89.jpeg

That's brilliant. I saw this and went straight to my garage. I used a slug-go. I added a piece of wire with a loop to the stinger and fished it through the slug-go and hooked the loop onto the bucktail jig hook. Now I know why they use Dacron for this. Sheesh... It's a little stiff but there's enough tail for some flutter. Can't wait to try it out. 

DSC_1085.JPG

I won two big fluke pools on party boats using that rig and the great thing about it was id never get any short fluke and I would hook everything that hit it, rarely ever dropped a fish. Never tried it with artificials though like that sluggo my main objective was to combine the bucktail with real bait. I would cut a long tapered strip of squid or whatever else I could find whether it was mackerel, blue fish, sea robins. I never tried it for striped bass but I’m sure they’ll like it since everything else does. If I could have only one type of lure in my bag though I would pick a bucktail any day.

Edited by Big Will

Anyone else have experience with this (or similar) rig?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

19 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Anyone else have experience with this (or similar) rig?

It's a standard fishing method down south and on the west coast.  Party boats often use 2 mustad 34007s for yellowtail with fresh and frozen bait.  The more hooks the more hookups.  

#1 white bucktail. #2 bunker chunk. #3 bone Redfin

I often use dead ones on a simple lead head when I need to get them deep in the canal.  Just hook them from under the jaw and up through the skull.

For those of you who use them on BTs, is that how you hook them?  What color BTs do you prefer?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I often use dead ones on a simple lead head when I need to get them deep in the canal.  Just hook them from under the jaw and up through the skull.

For those of you who use them on BTs, is that how you hook them?  What color BTs do you prefer?

Same way as you describe. Sometimes i use a little zip ties to keep it from sliding. I don't think color has any effect really but I really only fish white or purple so I just use those. If I known want to fish them that way I'll use a jig head instead of the bucktail

Edited by FinS 32

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Fishy Fisher said:

That's brilliant. I saw this and went straight to my garage. I used a slug-go. I added a piece of wire with a loop to the stinger and fished it through the slug-go and hooked the loop onto the bucktail jig hook. Now I know why they use Dacron for this. Sheesh... It's a little stiff but there's enough tail for some flutter. Can't wait to try it out. 

DSC_1085.JPG

Looks good. You may also want to try a 4-6 inch red split tail pork trailer on it. Lobster , mantis shrimp. Check out the stomachs content thread.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you do it only when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept no excuses and produce only results. Author unknown.

• 7 months later...