FunkyColdMedina

Help with SP Minnow Retrieve

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Newbie here trying surf fishing.  I purchased three different colored SP Minnows and tried them out.  No success but I was wondering if I was properly retrieving them.  What are your recommendations on the proper retrievement method?  Does it vary by the color of the minnow? 

Willing to to learn from all of your experiences.

thanks! 

In most cases I have found the floating models to be the most effective. I like to keep the sp minnow as close to the surface as possible by a fairly slow steady retrieve with the rod tip up. A lot of guys like to twitch the lure every couple feet as it is reeled in. I only do this when I can see the fish aggressively feeding. If you aren't getting hits with the sp minnow I would try fishing on the bottom with a buck tail. The longer you surf fish the better you will get at what to throw and when. Typically if I don't see fish busting I will first try a top water lure just because it is my favorite thing to throw. If I don't get any hits in a couple of cast I will try a subsurface lure (metal lip, sp minnow). If that doesn't drawl any strikes then I will go to the buck tail... somedays the fish just aren't biting!

As far as colors I like natural bait fish color patterns. But you can't go wrong with the bone color for striper.

Edited by cec127

Don't over think it, just launch it and retrieve at a constant speed. As mentioned if fish are visibly feeding, adding a twitch doesn't hurt but I have had the most success with a constant retrieve. I prefer the sinking models over the floating model, especially the 6 3/4" size. As far as colors, chicken scratch and burple seem to be my best producers

Sinking, floating, I don't even look to see which is which anymore when I grab one.  Put it out there, slow steady retrieve with a twitch about every 4 cranks of the handle.  the colors you use does not determine the retrieve you should use.  It's the same retrieve no matter the color.  Something yellow had always worked for me as in black over yellow or school bus.  On a bright night like tonight I'd throw the school bus and rest easy. 

With the floaters, I like to stop the my retrieve at the back of the last breaking wave and let the minnow float all the way up until it dimples the surface and then give it a hard pull and reel, find fish like to follow it up to the surface and can get a reaction strike when I pull on it again. As said no wrong way to fish it. Another tip is to remove the front split ring and tie direct or with a TA clip, seems to me to have better contact with the plug and how it is swimming under the water, when removed and tied direct.

I go with the bone during day and blurple at night. If macs are in the area I'll use mac pattern or a silverside coltsniper. Always upgrade trebles and split rings, and remove split ring from nose.

Usually level rod and steady retrieve.

But hey, I suck at fishing so keep that in mind.

Edited by PlumFishing

The type of rods you use can also dictate the action. I prefer a soft tip or moderate action rod when fishing an SP because you can feel the lure working when the rod tip is pulsating. Also try lowering your rod tip on the retrieve to keep it in the strike zone. 

I rarely fish daylight, but had good luck on a recent day outing with a fast retrieve with plenty of twitches with a pause every so often.  You can play with the hook sizes to get it to suspend a bit. 

Thanks for all of you weighing in.  I was trying a variety of retrieve methods hoping one would work.  There were other fishermen there  spread through out the cove we were fishing and the waters were very calmed.  No one caught a fish, so they probably won’t there.  At least that’s my excuse.  I’m also wondering if I am better off at a beach with more active waters/waves.

I upgraded the split rings and treble hooks on the SP minnows and use the TA clips to help quickly change the minnows.  The clips are a grayish color and generic brand.  

A concern I have though is that the rod is not that good.  I went cheap, just in case I wouldn’t stick with surf fishing. I already regret it.  

I ended up getting the Daiwa FT Surf Spinning Rod for $20, but it is a bit heavy and after 2 1/2 hours my hand was sore for the next couple of days.  

Regardless I had a blast being there and trying.  Looking forward to going out this weekend and trying again. 

I overdosed on these when they first came out. Not a bad thing, just nuts. I found a NJ Moco retailer who had someone custom painting them.  I bought dark ( can't describe the color ) and a yellow with a smidge of red under the head. I like top water when it's glassy and the sinker when it's anything else. Either way if you have a couple in your bag and grab the wrong one I don't think the fish will care. From a guy who was crazy about color, now buying into action and profile is almost everything.