flyangler

Compromise: Combine HPA w Bump Stock Restrictions

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Since so many gun control types demand some sort of compromise, here's one I will offer:

Take the existing Hearing Protection Act and combine it with changes that make the bumpfire stocks and similar faux-auto enabling devices subject to the NFA restrictions that are currently applicable to full-auto and select-fire. 

Politically, this is a win for those seeking to make these evil accessories very difficult to obtain (bipartisan) and for those who think suppressors should be pulled out of the NFA and regulated like handguns. 

Thoughts?

Bump fire stocks are an external accessory (see Obama Admin call). Restrictions on them is going to open a door we need not open.

The arguments against suppressors are so flat out absurd that they border on infantile.

I'll pass on this.

5 minutes ago, RJ said:

Just heard on the Mike Gallagher Show that the Bump Stock was approved by the Obama Administration.

Yes, in 2010

IMG_3362.JPG.a3d931cc1e9c8ac96871c4d35acf81fe.JPG

Here is the News conformation today

Britebart

by AWR HAWKINS4 Oct 2017

While bump stocks are taking criticism from Democrats and Republicans alike, it is interesting to note that the devices were approved for sale in 2010 by Barack Obama’s ATF.

The ATF approved the devices because they do not convert a semiautomatic rifle into an automatic. Rather, they are an accessory that allows semiautomatic rifle owners to mimic automatic fire for short bursts.

According to the Washington Post, Rick Vasquez, the ATF official who signed off on non-regulation for bump stocks, described them as “a goofy, little doodad.”

This squares with the Breitbart News report that bump stocks “are for novelty, not accuracy.” They are devices that allow bursts of rapid fire but are unpredictable because the gun’s buffer tube can bounce around or bobble inside the device, making jams and inconsistent fire patterns likely.

Vasquez, a former Marine, put is this way: “[Bump stocks are] for those guys who want to look like super ninja when they’re out on the range — they’re the people my peer group makes fun of.  If you want a machine gun, join the Marines.”

Lost in Vasquez’s humor is the fact that not everyone will join the Marines and very few people can afford their own machine gun, with prices starting at roughly $15,000. So a bump stock is a $200 substitute that allows cash-strapped citizens to mimic real machine guns on the cheap.

But bump-stocks may be facing an uphill battle, as Sen Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) is calling for a ban on the devices and numerous GOP Senators–including John Cornyn and John Thune–admit unfamiliarity with the devices yet still express openness to a hearing on a ban. Moreover, Rep. Bill Flores (R-TX) made clear his belief that “typical gun owners” do not need bump stock devices.

I agree with Bill Flores (R-TX) and Sen Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)

Las Vagas shooter proves the device can be used on full automatic.  Shut it down and recall all of them.

Will the Dems man and woman up and take the responsibility that they screwed up?

I heard this morning that via 3D-Printing technology a bump stock can be made in minutes.  Of course we know if possession of them is made illegal the bad guys will be lining up to turn theirs in, right?  Times are changing.

6 minutes ago, Wigeon said:

Bump fire stocks are an external accessory (see Obama Admin call). Restrictions on them is going to open a door we need not open.

The arguments against suppressors are so flat out absurd that they border on infantile.

I'll pass on this.

I concur that this opens the door but anyone larding the bumpfire bill, or a compromise as I suggest, with greater restrictions will kill the bill. 

You have a handful of GOP senators right now who are willing to support restrictions on these devices and on these devices only. These are people who are nominal 2A supporters and I am hard pressed to think that they will allow the Dems to weigh down a bumpfire bill with additional restrictive language outside of this specific focus. Thus, either a clean bill is created, a compromise or an abomination that does not have a chance to pass. 

Keep in mind, this does not need Congressional action for something to happen on bumpfire. The simplest "solution" would be a re-evaluation by the BATFE and their reversing the 2010 letter. Simple, fast and focused, with no further politics, further restrictions and the can of worms stays closed. 

The issue either way is what happens to the thousands of bumpfires already in civilian hands. Grandfathering them is NOT going to be a viable solution because they are out there which defeats the purpose of "feel good" legislation meant "protect the people". There are not registration records so no one know who owns them. Is the US government ready to make felons of thousands of Americans with a few keystrokes, or a law's passage?

And what about the ADA aspect of the original 2010 approval that was based on disabled shooters? 

Sorry Tom, I see your deal as a lose lose.

The antis will not stop until we are like Australia or Britain, and totally free of guns. 

Any compromise just helps them achieve their goals, and is the jumping off point for their next step.

If we were dealing with rational people that wanted a reasonable solution, your idea might be a good one. But as things are now, Not One Inch.

Edited by dena

MIllions never heard of a bump stock before last week.  Millions are out there owned and in use.

One pen stroke and you create millions of felons, a huge percentage of whom will likewise not know about their new criminal status.

Many will get sent to prison and lose voting rights, and yet be innocent of causing any harm.

Not good.

Edited by hamlet

3 minutes ago, DonnieB said:

I heard this morning that via 3D-Printing technology a bump stock can be made in minutes.  Of course we know if possession of them is made illegal the bad guys will be lining up to turn theirs in, right?  Times are changing.

There will be an immediate black market created for the devices. Some will hoard them for the day the black helicopters come over the horizon. 

Folks who want to flaunt the law will always find a way to do it. 

They may find a way to make them illegal, that's smart but won't make the risk go away. Until this week, few have even heard about these devices, even among gun owners. I first read about them several years ago when there was a battle rising between Slidefire Systems and the makers of the rip-off and cheaper Bumpfire device. Thought then, as I do now, that I did not like them as they will only apply to the wahoos who are fans of FPS Russia and the like. No practical use other than wasting ammo and getting your friends to admire you. 

Won't miss them, but not sure now the egg is put back in the shell if we really want to address the public safety angle.  

On my phone now Tom, hate posting, but Dena and Hamlet just echoed what I wanted to say.

No illusions though, this hysteria has legs and will get ugly.

Let each state ban what they want, and let Neal Gorsu.......I mean The Supreme Court sort it out.

In the meantime, back to work.  If I was in Congress, I would write a bill for concealed carry reciprocity TODAY.