Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i07nyc

rewiring my house and mini spit system

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

i live in a house built in 1904. half the house has been rewired and half is the original bx. i'm thinking about installing 2 mini split systems somewhere in the future. i have a 100 amp box and did a load calculation which came to 52 amps not counting the 4 window a/c's im using now. my 1st floor is about 900 sq ft so it seems like i would need a 18000 btu system there. my 2nd floor is 600 sq ft so 14000 should cover that. with those 2 sized systems and my size box and house load would i have enough amp space with my current box or would i need a larger box. 

Edited by i07nyc

Right but putting in 2 units pushes the draw around 92 amps. Seems kinda close to the 100. I can't go to a larger box without replacing everything out to the street. I have a 4 gauge feeder and was told 100 amps max. Should I trust an 8 amp window or scrap the idea and stay with window units.

Edited by i07nyc

Power consumption for an 18k mini split will be more like 8-10 amps installed with a 20 amp breaker.

your estimating 32k btus for 1500 sq ft sounds oversized. Want to get load calculations done before you get any equipment.

I did a very quick calc on the btu's then added a few thousand for good measure. In not gonna be adding the system for a few years. My electric is a mess though. I have to redo a good amount of it and since I do in trying to take into account future plans.

I have one circuit that has 8 outlets and 7 lights on it. The circuit covers a fridge, stove, microwave and other kitchen stuff. The breaker next to it was added in the 70's or 80's and goes to one outlet hooked to a lamp. I'm gonna try to balance that out. This setup repeats a few times in my panel.

On my panel, The clamp on had probably 6 amps on one side and 7 amps on other. 

I added everything as 240v and it was pretty balanced even when heavier loads kicked on.

If you just added up the load to get to 52  amps and most of that is 120v load, don't forget you will be splitting that between 2 hot legs giving you 26 amp load on each.