Samba Surf

Is there a factory rod built on cut GSB 1201 L?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I had heard at one point that Lamiglas makes a factory rod built on the GSB 1201 L with a foot cut from the butt, does anyone know if this is true and what the model number is?  As I understand it the XS series is built on the GSB blanks but can't find more detailed info.  Thanks!

Moderate 2-4 is the 1201L and the Mod/Fast 3- 6 is the 1201M

XS 101 MS 10′   2 – 4     Mod  
XS 101 MHS 10′   3 – 6     Mod/Fast  

Yes Lamiglas makes a factory built GSB 1201L with 10”cut from the butt. The model number is XSSKINNER. We have them in stock at the factory and J and H on Long Island should have some as well.

Some info on the Skinner rod: http://www.lamiglas.com/skinner-rod-john-skinner-lamiglas-surf-rod/ 

and also from J&H:

Product Description

The Lamiglas John Skinner Surf Spinning Surf Rod is a world class fishing rod! John has been fishing a version of this rod for two decades and now it is available to you! Constructed of a 10' GSB1201L blank with 10" cut off the back end, Lamiglas has outfitted the rod with Fuji Alconite guides which are made for braid and will produce longer casts, a Fuji graphite reel seat and top quality corktape fore and rear grips. Here's what John Skinner thinks of this rod:

“I use this rod for a high percentage of my surfcasting because it handles a lot of different situations extremely well. You can throw 3/4-ounce bucktails and swimming plugs with it and it allows small to medium bass to give a good account of themselves.” 

“However, it’s sweet spot is probably 2-3 ounces, where it’s a superb pencil popping rod. It’s also great with bottle and darter plugs. I actually built it originally as a live and rigged eel rod for slightly heavier payloads and large (20-40#+) bass. The rod does an amazing job of whipping big fish.”

“You can get a lot of leverage on big fish with it. The guide selection and layout results in a lightweight rod with a lot of power that you can cast for hours without fatigue.” 

The Lamiglas John Skinner Surf Spinning Surf Rod is a 1-piece rod and is rated 14-30 lb (mono rating) with a 2-4 oz lure rating. They are made in the USA, come with a warranty from Lamiglas. You can only buy this rod at J&H. Due to the length, we will not be able to ship this rod. It is in-store pickup only.

Models: SKINNER92

3 hours ago, Yudi said:

Moderate 2-4 is the 1201L and the Mod/Fast 3- 6 is the 1201M

XS 101 MS 10′   2 – 4     Mod  
XS 101 MHS 10′   3 – 6     Mod/Fast  

additionally, the factory is currently prototyping new layouts on these rods, I believe.  Sean Kearny (Lamiglas) landed a pig at approximately 57 lbs. while out testing the 2 piece L prototype just a couple of weeks ago.  It might also be worth waiting to get your hands on one with a new layout.  It will feel different.

2 hours ago, nateD said:

Will the factory ship them?

I believe so but with the rod being over 9' long you may have to pay oversize shipping which would be around $150 to get it across the country. Best bet would be going through J and H.

21 minutes ago, Yudi said:

additionally, the factory is currently prototyping new layouts on these rods, I believe.  Sean Kearny (Lamiglas) landed a pig at approximately 57 lbs. while out testing the 2 piece L prototype just a couple of weeks ago.  It might also be worth waiting to get your hands on one with a new layout.  It will feel different.

Correct, very soon the entire XS series will be converted to an updated GSB series built to new guide concept with x flock handles. First night out testing the 1202L proto I landed the biggest fish of my life and gained some trust in our two piece rods by doing so. 

However, the Skinner model is the only one that will keep a cork handle and cone of flight guide layout because, if we changed it then it wouldnt be a "Skinner" rod!!

I do like the idea of adding another one in the series built to NGC though........

3 minutes ago, smk379 said:

Correct, very soon the entire XS series will be converted to an updated GSB series built to new guide concept with x flock handles. First night out testing the 1202L proto I landed the biggest fish of my life and gained some trust in our two piece rods by doing so. 

However, the Skinner model is the only one that will keep a cork handle and cone of flight guide layout because, if we changed it then it wouldnt be a "Skinner" rod!!

I do like the idea of adding another one in the series built to NGC though........

LOL, I didn't notice the Avatar....or affiliation.  Cool.

34 minutes ago, Samba Surf said:

Thanks guys!  I might head over to BST to see if someone has one they'd be willing to sell.  Any input on the Skinner vs the Ron Arra 1083 (?)

The 1083 is going to be a lighter and thinner rod than the Skinner rod. It just depends on what you want to use it for. I'd say the true rating on the skinner is 1-3 but can handle a little more while the 1083 is like 1/2 - 1 1/2 or 2 and will do better tossing small bucktails or small plugs in calm water.