pvttom

trolling reel and rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking to purchase rods and reels for trolling tandem mojos up to 32 ounce in waters down to approx 50ft. What would you recommend? I'm thinking about line counter reels so we can set back easily. Any help would be appreciated. I like the Diawa saltist line counter reels, but I don't know if 6.4 retrieve is too fast for 40-50lbers.

Penn rampage rods are great mojo rods and pretty reasonably priced. I use the 20-50# rated ones. As for reels I'd recommend Tekota 700's or TLD 20's. Line counters are unnecessary in my opinion for mojo fishing because you can easily tell where you're at when you drop it down and hit the bottom a few times 

2 hours ago, pvttom said:

Good point. The tld 20's look good. I'm wondering how the tld 15's would work?  Do you recommend braid or mono for trolling heavy mojos? Thank you

I've never used the 15s but I don't see why they wouldn't work. I would just lean toward the 20s though since they are a little beefier and 32 ounces puts a lot of stress on the reel, especially with a fish on the other end! I also like that you can hook the safety line to the harness lug. Only gripe with those reels is the handles could be better but you can buy upgrades handles if you desired. As for line I would suggest 50 or 65# braid. Mono would be a nightmare!

On 10/5/2017 at 8:43 AM, pvttom said:

I'm thinking about line counter reels so we can set back easily.

Metered braid is better. Seriously. It doesn't cost any more than regular braid, but it is marked by a different color every 10 yards. You can really dial in distances with it, and you don't need an expensive (and cumbersome) line counter reel to do it.  

3 hours ago, pvttom said:

Good point. The tld 20's look good. I'm wondering how the tld 15's would work?  Do you recommend braid or mono for trolling heavy mojos? Thank you

I have both a TLD 15 and 25.

I like the 15 MUCH better, for whatever reason it is sooo much smoother of a reel.  They both have studs for a rod clamp and both are equally up to the task of trolling heavy mojo's for big bass.  I clip the safety line to the rod clamp, I got the one with the extra ring, that way it's out of the way on the bottom of the reel.

Those rampage rods do look good for the price.

Do you guys recommend the roller tips for the rods? I prefer the 6'6" over the 6' but rampage takes the rollers off the 6'6" model. Does it matter in the long run?