njfish4life

Shoulder and elbow pain from fishing

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Title says most of it but what do you guys do for shoulder and elbow pain from fishing?  I have even tried switching my retrieve hand and still no real relief.  Ice, heat and tons of Advil with no real relief. Do I bite the bullet and schedule an xray?

Suck it up, buttercup. 

But seriously, adjust your cast. I get a little pain sometimes. Nothing to write home about, but it's annoying. I figured out a way to cast overhead that doesn't require a big heave. Let the rod do its job. 

Title says most of it but what do you guys do for shoulder and elbow pain from fishing?  I have even tried switching my retrieve hand and still no real relief.  Ice, heat and tons of Advil with no real relief. Do I bite the bullet and schedule an xray?

See your doctor!

To much self medication with Advil can cause serious health issues.

Lou T 

Edited by Lou T

18 minutes ago, njfish4life said:

See your doctor!

To much self medication with Advil can cause serious health issues.

Lou T 

try to find whats causing the pain and limit it. i used to carry a 5 tube bag with every plug i could possibly fit in there. you know, wanna cover every possible situation. striped bass chasing eels - got it, blues on bunker- got it, fluke flying 10 ft in the air- got it. as i got older the back and shoulder pain got worse. i went to a 2 tube bag and only carry 5 or 6 lures realizing that fluke dont jump 10 ft in the air. also went with the smallest, lightest rod and reel for the situation i'm fishing at the time. the aches got much less. 

10 minutes ago, i07nyc said:

try to find whats causing the pain and limit it. i used to carry a 5 tube bag with every plug i could possibly fit in there. you know, wanna cover every possible situation. striped bass chasing eels - got it, blues on bunker- got it, fluke flying 10 ft in the air- got it. as i got older the back and shoulder pain got worse. i went to a 2 tube bag and only carry 5 or 6 lures realizing that fluke dont jump 10 ft in the air. also went with the smallest, lightest rod and reel for the situation i'm fishing at the time. the aches got much less. 

True words... lighten your load.

Also ( as a long time back and shoulder sufferer) I have found that taking an Alleive before I fish gets out in front of the pain, which is mostly caused by swelling in my joints.... it works much better than using it after it already hurts and trying to keep fishing...

Using a softer rod will usually help with some casting pain. Going to the gym or just being active between seasons is a must. Moving from a shoulder to belt bag may help. Don't try reaching France with every cast, you may up your catch ratio by making shorter casts.

Also cut out the sugar. It helps

to bring down the inflammation. I had a lot of shoulder problems last year and what helped was using a different rod. Don't do the cortisone if the doc offers. Short lived and the pain comes back 

The joint has an injury most likely from wear and tear over the years. It so happens that your fishing activity uses that joint as well. If it interferes with your quality of life, ie have to take Advil like it's PEZ, then have a doctor look at it and recommend the best course of action. The longer you wait, the older you get, the longer the healing time. No need to wait. Get it checked.

After reading the replies, I made an appointment with my doctor and he ordered some xrays.  Ever since turning 40 I swear my body is just not healing the way it used to be.  I will also need to thin out the bag a bit.

7 hours ago, Cascade said:

Using a softer rod will usually help with some casting pain. Going to the gym or just being active between seasons is a must. Moving from a shoulder to belt bag may help. Don't try reaching France with every cast, you may up your catch ratio by making shorter casts.

Very true. I never had pain until this year and it just so happened that I started using a fast rod in the spring. I switched back to a moderate rod and the pain eventually went away. Chances are it was user error and I didn't adjust my casting technique to account for the faster rod but the moderate action made the difference and I haven't gone back. 

8 hours ago, njfish4life said:

After reading the replies, I made an appointment with my doctor and he ordered some xrays.  Ever since turning 40 I swear my body is just not healing the way it used to be.  I will also need to thin out the bag a bit.

Jeez... what are u going to do in your 70’s.......

seriously,it could be a medical condition but  life doesn’t get any easier. see a Dr, grind it out..

Edited by olvart

I had some serious golfers elbow in my left arm last year. Over the winter I started a stretching and strengthening program and got out in front of it. This year the elbow has been fine. However, in the spring I moved to Cape Cod and trying to make long casts for a couple of hours reactivated a torn shoulder labrum issue that had not been a problem. So I started a strengthening program and it has helped. Over the winter I will be working on my elbow and shoulder. Who would have thought that an off season strength training program would be necessary for fishing!!! But then again I'm 68 years old. Just make sure you are informed before undertaking anything, see an orthopedist, if necessary get some PT and talk to the therapist about what you can do at home.