Cold Water Yaking

Well, its starting to get colder and I need to gear up soon. Waders or full body wetsuit in a hobie revolution 13? And any recommendations on either of them? Looking to spend no more than $200 if possible.

Thanks!

Edited by viper2788

If you are a from the hard core drysuit/semi drysuit school of thought, your best bet is to sign up to one of those big box internet outdoor vendors and get the 20% coupon code to use on a suit...

you can go go the route of a used in the BST but you're subject to availability and you never know how it was used by previous owners

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!

I used a nrs farmer John wetsuit for years. No chafing .i used it into November and in the spring. Not as comfortable as a dry suit but easy to change layers in the water. Nrs grizzly suit, mysterioso top, paddle jacket, also had a wet suit type top from nrs. Rarely used the wetsuit top. Hard to paddle in.  That would chafe you?

Consider temperature values are for long term immersion, something a kayaker practiced at self rescue wont be experiencing. Spritzing the inside with powder or cornstarch aids comfort and donning if your not wearing non absorbant rash guard undergarments(under armor, cycling, triathlon wear, etc.). A $30 dollar Ocean State 3/2 fullsuit works as well as a $400 suit for sitting on a kayak. A proper fit is vital !!!

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

The thing you need to ask yourself as far as a cold water outfit is, will this keep me safe long enough to reach shore? If you are only worried about comfort in the water for a few seconds, wear whatever you want. But IMO, not smart. Kayaks sink, sh*t happens. 

The chief concern in wetsuit chafing is the type and placement of seams, especially if in contact with skin. Seams also have a lot to do with comfort in cold water. That's where a cheap wetsuit and a better one are often quite different. 

When I first got into this sport, I struggled with what to wear and decided my life wasn't something I wanted to go cheap on, so I bought a Kokatat Supernova Angler, $600, but got a 20% off coupon.  I figured if I fell in and was getting hypothermia, I'd be wishing I spent the extra $200.  I don't use it as much as I'd like (don't get to go fishing enough), but it was well worth the money.  I love it.  Today, there is a less expensive option, Mythic Gear has a breathable drysuit for $295.  One of my fishing buddies has one and is very happy with it.  I think you'd be way safer and comfortable in a $295 dry suit then at wetsuit.  I've worn wet suits for snorkeling and whitewater rafting,  I honestly can't imagine the aggravation getting in and out of a wetsuit and being damp all day long while kayak fishing.  I think wet suits are great when you are in the water most of the time, but suck if you are just getting splashed.

22 minutes ago, atv223 said:

When I first got into this sport, I struggled with what to wear and decided my life wasn't something I wanted to go cheap on, so I bought a Kokatat Supernova Angler, $600, but got a 20% off coupon.  I figured if I fell in and was getting hypothermia, I'd be wishing I spent the extra $200.  I don't use it as much as I'd like (don't get to go fishing enough), but it was well worth the money.  I love it.  Today, there is a less expensive option, Mythic Gear has a breathable drysuit for $295.  One of my fishing buddies has one and is very happy with it.  I think you'd be way safer and comfortable in a $295 dry suit then at wetsuit.  I've worn wet suits for snorkeling and whitewater rafting,  I honestly can't imagine the aggravation getting in and out of a wetsuit and being damp all day long while kayak fishing.  I think wet suits are great when you are in the water most of the time, but suck if you are just getting splashed.

Mythic Gear looks nice man - thanks for the head's up!

2 hours ago, atv223 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I actually had no idea that I'd be damp in a wetsuit (despite the name lol)... but yea, drysuit looks like the way to go.

Edited by viper2788

• 2 weeks later...